Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. arch mirror shaving cabinet

Banyoabode
Building a Reputation

D.I.Y. arch mirror shaving cabinet

I used a $30 arch mirror from Bunnings as the main component in this project to create a stylish and unique shaving cabinet. The shaving cabinet is a practical and esthetic storage solution for any bathroom. I made 3, 2 for my ensuite and 1 for our powder room :smile:

Steps

Step 1

image.jpg

First, I devised a plan of measurements that would fit the arch mirror. 600mm x 950mm 

Cut list 

2 x 146mm x 575mm

2 x 146mm x 568 mm

Back panel 543 x 568mm

Step 2

IMG_8810.jpeg

Using a mitre saw or table saw with a blade suitable to cut melamine (you can also add tape along your cut line to reduce tear away), I cut all the pieces to size

Step 3

IMG_4532.jpeg

I used corner clamps to create the box, and with pilot holes and chipboard screws, I screwed it together.

As long as it is squared, you can add your back panel. TIP: If it doesn't fit perfectly, you can always sand down the edges of melamine and gap-fill the corners for a seamless finish. 

Step 4

IMG_8811.jpeg

I added tape and then traced around the mirror onto melamine and cut the arch shape using a jig saw and the right blade for melamine. 

Step 5

IMG_4601.jpeg

Using an iron and melamine edge banding I followed the direction, and I found using a Stanley knife and 240 grit sand paper to clean up the edges worked better than the fancy tool.  

Step 6

IMG_5142.jpeg

Optional step! 

This was my first time working with melamine, and it wasn't the professional finish I wanted, so I decided to paint the melamine to cover up imperfections. I first used BIN Primer and then Dulux aquanamel in semi-gloss.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/zinsser-470ml-b-i-n-primer-sealer-stain-killer_p1560189?store=8175&gclid...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-500ml-vivid-white-aquanamel-semi-gloss-interior-exterior-paint_p02...

Step 7

IMG_8813.jpeg

After figuring out where I wanted the hinges to sit and where I wanted the mirror to sit above the basin, I followed the directions on the hinge package. I had a hinge jig which made this step easier. 

Step 8

IMG_8524.jpeg

I followed the directions on the liquid nails and glued the mirror to the melamine arch, and prayed that it held 😕

Step 9

IMG_8655.jpeg

I installed the mirror after it had cured and fiddled around with the hinges to get everything aligned, and TA-DA, it is DONE!

.... well I still need to add a shelf. I bought these clips, so it should be an easy install. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/taskmaster-5mm-pin-nickel-plated-metal-shelf-supports-10-pack_p0290585

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: D.I.Y. arch mirror shaving cabinet

Congratulations on another terrific project, @Banyoabode! You've devised a functional and stylish shaving cabinet to maximise storage in your bathroom. A neat solution to a common problem that I'm sure will inspire many members.

What was your biggest learning from this project? Anything you would have done differently? 

Well done once again and I can't wait to see what you tackle next.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Banyoabode
Building a Reputation

Re: D.I.Y. arch mirror shaving cabinet

Thank you Akanksha. 

I am use to working with wood so using melamine was different. You potentially could use plywood and then paint it. That is something I would consider if I did this project again. 

😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects