Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY bathroom floor

roshick1
Finding My Feet

DIY bathroom floor

I have old gloss tiles at present in v good condition but dated.  I would like to put self stick tiles/planks over the top then seal for waterproofing.  (Only a guest b/room so not much use).  Is this possible and I imagine etching of some type is needed prior .

is it allowable to block and fill the drain in the tiled area before “levelling”?

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: DIY bathroom floor

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @roshick1 !

You'll find a bit of advice from @2Belindas and @ProjectPete on the pros and cons of different bathroom floor treatments in @kim00's discussion. The always helpful @MitchellMc will definitely be able to offer some options for how to get the best result when he is back on the boards on Friday. Let me tag @redracer01 in the meantime to see if Red has any advice on waterproofing.

We're here to help, so please don't hesitate to ask for advice.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @roshick1 

Would it be possible to post a photo of the floor? It would give us a more detailed idea of its condition and possibly make a more comperhensive recommendation. 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

489075E7-4205-4627-9506-B6150E897B8C.jpeg

BDBA155D-CC76-499B-BE6F-3F56D8F8177F.jpeg

Hello @roshick1 

You are absolutely spot on, those tiles are still in good condition. Placing stick on vinyl tiles is an option, however once you stick it on, it will show the tile grout lines which is lower than the tile! I suggest using Dunlop self leveling compound.  Dunlop Multipurpose Floor Leveller is a cement based compound, that when mixed with water provides a smooth, pourable, free flowing material designed for levelling uneven concrete before applying floor coverings such as carpet and ceramic tiles. One bag is approximated to cover 9 square meters. Before using the levelling compound I suggest priming the tile with Crommelin 1L Tile On Tile Primer, this covers approximately 15 square meters. It promotes adhesion of new coverings, toppings and adhesives without the need for surface grinding or etching. Once you have the floor leveller on and it has cured you should have a level surface to lay the sticky vinyl on. I strongly suggest to read the priming process at the back of the can.

things to watch out for :

1. Loose or hollow tiles, these will prove an issue if they are left unfixed as they will work loose over time cracking our floor levelling cover.

2. Loose or cracked grout. If left unfixed will again crack the floor levelling and ruin the finish.

3. Make sure to wash and de-grease the floor to get maximum adhesion.

I know some of our readers will say otherwise concerning this particular idea and would clearly suggest that the proper way to do it is to remove all the tiles and level from the concrete and then lay the vinyl flooring. This suggestion I have made is on the condition that the floor is in very good condition and that the person doing the DIY is aware of the possible things that might happen should the tiles beneath come loose. It becomes expensive and the job has to be repeated, again. Now that you have both sides of the coin the decision to proceed is yours! Good luck and stay safe!

Cheers,

Red 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @roshick1,

It's great to see you've already received some expert assistance from @redracer01.

Have you considered laying Hybrid vinyl planks instead of stick-on tiles? Hybrid vinyl planks can be laid directly over the tile surface and due to their thickness won't show the grout lines through them. Your drain grate can be raised and inserted through them as well. No waterproofing is needed for them as your existing waterproofing is still in place. 

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How To Lay Vinyl Plank Flooring.  

Please let me know if you would like further information about this product or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much - think I may take the easiest option - vinyl planks - it appears easier  and I can do this.  Husband doesn’t think “ anything” needs doing, serviceable enough 🤣so I have to do a good job.  😄

@MitchellMc  i think they look great and I'm now considering to lay them in our guest bathroom as the tiles are very dated and has some mosaic inserts. The problem is that this theme also is inside of the shower. This isn't suitable for inside the shower is it?  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @marfa,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We are so pleased that you've joined us and thank you for sharing your desire to lay vinyl planks.

I'm glad that @MitchellMc's suggestion has inspired you to give it a go. Vinyl planks are quite hardy against moisture and the occasional spill, but I'm so sorry to inform you that they are not meant for the inside of your shower. Your other options are to re-grout the shower area to give it a fresh look or re-tile just the shower area to a tile colour close to the vinyl tile you are laying.

If you're planning your own remodeling project we would love to see your ideas. I'm sure our ever-helpful members will offer advice and information should you have any questions about your project. 

Here are a few handy step-by-step guides:

Please keep us updated. We're here to help.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
marfa
Finding My Feet

Thanks @EricL for your quick response. I've taken a photo of the bathroom floor and shower floor. I think i'd prefer to retile the shower floor as don't really like the mosaic effect. Would I need to rip up the old tiles on the shower floor or could I lay new ones on top do you think? I guess the drain height would be the issue? 

16255368620585789762820964640825.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects