Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY bathroom floor

roshick1
Finding My Feet

DIY bathroom floor

I have old gloss tiles at present in v good condition but dated.  I would like to put self stick tiles/planks over the top then seal for waterproofing.  (Only a guest b/room so not much use).  Is this possible and I imagine etching of some type is needed prior .

is it allowable to block and fill the drain in the tiled area before “levelling”?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY bathroom floor

Hello @marfa

Each proposal has its own advantage and disadvantage. Re-tiling the floor over the existing tile is easier, less work, and can be done in a short amount of time. The disadvantage is that you will have to adjust the height of the bathroom door, the shower door assembly will have to be adjusted and your vanity will be 10mm lower due to the tile and glue. 

Removing the existing tiles will give you peace of mind that the new tiles are all secure. No adjustments will be necessary for height as the new tiles will go back to the same position. The disadvantage is that you will need to waterproof your shower area again. Removing the old tiles will require that the vanity and shower assembly be taken out. It will take time to remove and re-tile the area.  

I encourage you to explore Workshop and look at all the incredible bathroom transformations that our members have achieved.

Here is a list of our: Top 10 most popular bathroom projects

Let me tag our experienced member @prettyliving for their advice and knowledge.

We look forward to the start of your project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Re: DIY bathroom floor

Hi @marfa 

I’ve personally never retiled a shower floor before but I do know of someone that did, they put new tiles right over the old ones and purchased a drain extension kit to add that height to the drain. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects