Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need to remove all the screed?

kwakagrl
Building a Reputation

Do I need to remove all the screed?

Hi everyone, I have just removed the tiles in my laundry with a hired jackhammer. In some areas it gouged quite a bit into the screed. Should I remove all the screed, or can I just patch and smooth it off? 

6C1D40D2-2C33-4FB8-ABDB-625FEF258DC9.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do I need to remove all the screed?

Hello @kwakagrl

You're making excellent progress looking at your laundry floor. If there is a great deal of damage, I suggest using Dingo 20kg Self-Levelling Cement. I recommend trying to remove as much of the old adhesive as possible. Your goal is to get it as flat as possible. You can either use the cement for spot repair or cover the entire area to get a very flat surface. Once the cement has cured you can then put your choice of flooring on top of it. Make sure to read the instructions at the back of the bag before application.

Let me tag @tom_builds and @DIYgals  for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kwakagrl
Building a Reputation

Re: Do I need to remove all the screed?

Thanks @EricL, this is awesome. I did remove as much old glue as possible before I returned the jackhammer. I did a bit of searching through some past posts and saw someone mention self levelling cement so I got some at Bunnings. I’m glad I was on the right track. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects