Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I require a floor drain in a new bathroom

jimjim
Just Starting Out

Do I require a floor drain in a new bathroom

As per previous post re shower base, I am wishing to install a new bathroom in a room that has a concrete floor. Do I need to install a floor drain or can I dispense with this as it would be very expensive to jackhammer out the concrete to install a drain that drains to the sewer outside. If the bathroom floods so be it.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Do I require a floor drain in a new bathroom

Hello @jimjim 

Please refer to this link before proceeding. https://hipages.com.au/article/bathroom_water_and_renovation_regulations_by_state

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do I require a floor drain in a new bathroom

Hi @jimjim,

I see @redracer01 has already provided some helpful information regarding your question. It appears that the answer to whether a floor drain is required depends on if the shower area is enclosed. It is always best practise to check with your local and state regulations to prevent having to reverse any non-compliant issues down the track.

If you have any further questions or need assistance, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects