Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Drain removal

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Drain removal

We're in the process of renovating our bathroom. I want to remove the old bathtub to get everything ready to insert a new one. I need to remove the drain first but I can't work out how to do so. I'm assuming there's a proper tool to do it but I don't know what it's called. I've seen one used in a YouTube video but it's for a drain with four sections and ours is six so I'm thinking that's not going to work.

Any ideas?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Drain Removal

Hello @woodenwookie

Thank you for sharing your query about removing the drain from your bath.

If it is a standard bath with a timber frame and a tiled cover panel on the side, I suggest trying this method. Remove the tiled side panel of the bath. You should be able to see the timber frame of the bath, this will also let you see at the very bottom the plug and waste assembly of the bath. Here is an example of a Kinetic 40mm Chrome Pop Up Basin Waste. Notice at the bottom is the giant brass sealing nut. You will need to unscrew the brass sealing nut of the bath waste for you to unscrew the waste assembly.

I recommend using the Trojan 300mm, Multigrip Plier to grip the brass nut. I strongly suggest wearing the Mechanix Wear SpeedKnit CR5 Gloves - Large to avoid getting splinters and scratches from the unfinished bottom of the tub. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the assembly are referring to? This will allow us to have a better idea of your assembly and allow us to make a more comprehensive recommendation.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Got it done. Removed all the siding and that got to the pipe. I over thunk it to be honest.

Awesome, many thanks for letting us know @woodenwookie. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand.

Looking forward to seeing the bathroom renovation. Please take lots of photos along the way!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects