Hi there, we have an exhaust fan above our shower that is no longer functional. It looks like the old owners have blocked it off with some sort of sheeting immediately behind the exhaust instead of removing the exhaust and replacing the shower ceiling (possibly due to asbestos). The exhaust itself is quite mouldy and can't be removed for thorough cleaning so we are thinking of encapsulating it somehow with mold sealant or installing another ceiling over the top. Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to tackle this?
Solved! See most helpful response
Welcome to the Workshop community @Mlivin. I'd be happy to assist with your question.
Replacing the exhaust fan, instead of dealing with putting in another ceiling would be the best scenario. In my experience, all exhaust fans are able to be opened with some sort of cover. It appears that the cover section has been heavily painted over and that is why it will not remove easily. If you were to carefully run a blade around the marked perimeter, you should then be able to lever the cover off. There will most likely be clips on the sides, not just the corners. The painted over portions are marked with arrows.
You may find it easier to have an electrician replace the unit as it may be hardwired to the mains. The benefit of that is, they will also either work with the suspected asbestos or not and likely that will affect your decision to cover it up.
For information on the dangers of asbestos and advice for dealing with it, please contact your local council’s Environmental Health Officer or click on the links contained on the Health and Safety section of the Bunnings website.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please let me know.
Hi Mitchell, thank you so much for your suggestion. I will give this a go. Now that you mention it, it does look like there is a screw in the middle that will release the cover once the excess paint is removed. We have lived with the mouldy fan cover for a few years now believe it or not. Looking forward to solving the issue!