Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ensuite DIY project for under $1200

Alyce_Pham
Making a Splash

Ensuite DIY project for under $1200

Complete ensuite makeover for under $1200

After 9 years and three kids in our home, our ensuite was definitely looking a little worse for wear. The colours were dated, the room looked tired and overall it lacked warmth and life and just felt plain boring. The tiles, fixtures and vanity were all still in quite good condition so it was mostly aesthetic changes that needed to happen to give my ensuite a new lease on life.

With dull grey tiles, a dark brown vanity, stained grout and beige walls, some serious changes needed to happen to bring this space to life. Here’s how I made it happen:

Step 1

I started off by simply removing everything from the ensuite that wasn’t fixed down or staying. Artwork, towel rails, the mirror, the blind, baby latches and any random screws in walls were the first to go.

Step 2

I gave everything a big clean with shelly's sugar soap including walls, tiles, vanity and the glass shower screens. I also used the sugar soap on the floor tiles with a scrubbing brush to give the tiles and grout a good clean.

Step 3

Once everything was dry, I started to prep the walls for their first coat of paint. Prior to painting, I filled any holes or marks with Shellys Spakfilla  and once dry gave them a light sand. I wiped over all the walls again to remove any residue from the sanding and started to tape up the edges of the walls ready to paint.

Step 4

I applied three coats of Dulux Lexicon half  to the walls (except the wall I was leaving as our feature wall), allowing each coat adequate drying time in between. I also prepped the window frame, door and door frame ready to paint. I painted the door frame, door and window frame in the same colour as the walls, however used the Dulux Aquanamel Gloss  for these areas.

Step 5

Once the walls, door and frames were dry, I decided to start prepping the tiles and vanity for their makeover. I opted to use the Dulux Renovation Range  for the tiles and vanity area. When using this range, the most important part is making sure everything is completely clean and free from any residue, silicone or product build up. I therefore gave the vanity and tiled area another good clean with Shellys Sugar soap and removed any silicone visible around the shower frame and tiled area. I also removed the vanity doors and pulled out the draws to make these easier for painting.

Step 6

Once dry, I started off by giving the tiles and vanity one coat of the Dulux Renovation Range Primer. 

Step 7

When the primer was completely dry, I proceed with painting the vanity in three coats of Dulux Renovation Range Cabinet Doors SATIN  tinted to Light Rice colour. I chose to go with the Satin rather than the Gloss version for the vanity as I felt it gave a more modern and luxe look.

For the tiled area, I applied three coats of Dulux Renovation Range Tile & Benchtops GLOSS in Lexicon half (same colour as the walls for a seamless finish). I chose to go with the gloss finish for the tiled area as I didn’t want the tiles to look dry and rough, but feel after using the satin finish for the vanity, either option would have looked beautiful on the tiles.

NOTE: The most important thing to remember when applying the Dulux renovation range is each coat of paint needs a minimum of 8 hours drying time before the next coat can be applied. I did find this dragged out the completion of the project, however very thankful I followed the recommendations as the results were worth it.

Step 8

By this time, I had finally settled on a paint colour selection for the feature wall. I decided to paint the feature wall Surprise by Dulux and painted the wall with two coats.

Step 9

By the time everything was dry, I was ready to start adding some decorative pieces to the room. I reinstalled the vanity doors and used the Lane 100mm Matte Brass handles  from Bunnings to replace the cabinet and draw handles. I replaced the old square mirror with the Silas Antique gold arch mirror  purchased from Adairs, which is one of my favourite features in the room. I added the beautiful Luxe Resort ll artwork in the Ikea Lomviken frame to the feature wall and a hanging fern near the window in a gold hanging ring pot.

Step 10

Our original silver tapware on the vanity was damaged so this was a great opportunity to update the tap and I opted for the beautiful Brushed Brass Basin Mixer from Yabby.

Step 11

One of the very last things I did for the room was freshen up the grout on the floor tiles. I gave the tiled area another really good clean and once dry I applied two coats of the Dulux Renovation range grout pen to the grout in the entire floor area. The results were incredible and I highly recommend this pen!

Step 12

I finished off the room with a few last decorative accessories including the beautiful Brass Monstera hook from Kokonuts Living, towels from Adairs, Bamboo bath mat and Sabina soap dispenser from Target and two more indoor plants from Bunnings. I also positioned two brass hooks behind the door for hanging towels and included a cheeky Get Naked sign from Sweet Humming Bird Designs for a bit of fun!

The Budget

All in all I was thrilled with the transformation and being able to achieve such incredible results for under $1200. The most expensive part of the process was definitely the paint, but you do get what you pay for with paint and I know spending the money and time to apply the paint correctly is going to give us great long lasting results.

The breakdown

All paint, brushes, rollers and tape - $463

Brass vanity mixer tap - $225

Arch mirror - $156 (purchased on sale)

Artwork - $93 (purchased on sale)

Frame - $60

Brass hooks - $50

Grout pen - $20

Brass vanity handles (x3) - $18

Plants - $34

Towels - $37.50 (purchased on sale)

Decorative accessories (Bamboo mat, soap dispenser, candle) - $40

Total = $1,196.50ensuite-makeover-transformation.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2556.jpgbefore - horrible brown vanitybefore - horrible brown vanitythumbnail_IMG_2555.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2554.jpgbathroom-makeover-1.jpgbrass-towel-hooks.jpgensuite-brass-tap.jpgensuite-makeover-2.jpgensuite-vanity-makeover.jpggrout-before-after.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Ensuite DIY project for under $1200

Hi @Alyce_Pham,

First, let me extend a warm welcome from the Bunnings Workshop community! It is wonderful you have decided to join and share your incredible ensuite makeover with us. Amazing projects like these sometimes make it into our Top Ideas page and you may find your bathroom there one day! 

Thank you for the step-by-step process for doing an ensuite makeover. From your budget saving tips to how you selected your paint colours, you have really done a fantastic job. That grout pen really works great, I think I'll have to try it out myself. Which room you are looking to makeover next? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Katie! The ensuite was lots of fun and I'm so happy with the results. I'd love to attempt my kitchen as one of my next projects as we have the same cabinetry in the kitchen that we had in the ensuite. I'd love to try refresh the kitchen with the dulux renovation range now I mastered it in the ensuite. The grout pen sure is amazing! I plan to do my whole downstairs with it! 

Alyce 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

I would love to see how your kitchen turns out @Alyce_Pham. Based on your ensuite, I would say there is a very high chance that it will come out looking spectacular! 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lifestylebymari
Making a Splash

Hi @Alyce_Pham 

This is just amazing! You have created such a pretty and modern space. It's incredible what a little love, paint and mirror can do, right. 

What was the most challenging part of this project? 

Hi there, 

Thank you so much! It's definitely incredible what paint and a little DIY can create!

I must admit the whole process was a bit of a challenge for me as I'd never previously done a bathroom makeover and also never used the Dulux renovation range before. Its was a whole new experience for me but I really took my time and did lots of research with each step. I'm really glad I did and followed all recommendations with the paint process as it was so worth it and super happy with how it turned out :smile:

Thanks, Alyce

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects