Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Family bathroom vanity makeover

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Family bathroom vanity makeover

20211027_092945.jpeg

I wanted to share our remodel of the family vanity. The old unit was getting on a bit with the laminate surface worn in certain places. It was our main family vanity which had lasted for over 15 years with constant use. To keep within our budget, we decided to update just the countertop, add a new basin and mixer tap. We really like the base unit as it provides contrast, and it had sentimental value:-)

First, I had to remove the existing tile splash-back, but no matter how careful I was, there were holes that needed to be patched up. I have never figured out a method to remove large tiles without taking off some of the Gyprock in the process.

Once this was done, the stonemason installed the countertop and splash-back. Most stonemasons have offcuts of engineered stone such as Caesarstone or Quantum Quartz from their other jobs. We ask for something in white and he gave us a selection of offcuts to choose from.

After the top went on, we installed the wash basin, mixer and connected the pipes. The area was painted in a “popcorn”, and the mirror was reattached to the wall.

For the base unit, the drawer runners and door hinges were replaced with a soft-close mechanism. If anyone is interested, I listed the items we used for this project.

• Quantum Quartz / Michelangelo Quartz
  • Caroma 6 Star 4.5L/min Chrome Luna Mid Basin Mixer
  • Tribute Round 405 Inset Basin NTH [192221]
  • Porter Paints Popcorn
  • Goliath Soft Close Drawer Slide Pair - 450mm
  • Hafele 105° Soft Close Full Overlay Clip On Hinge

Glad we kept the cabinetsGlad we kept the cabinetsAll doneAll doneBasin and MixerBasin and MixerCountertop installedCountertop installedInstalling new runnersInstalling new runnersPatching up the holesPatching up the holesOff with the tilesOff with the tilesDemo DayDemo DayTime for a makeover!Time for a makeover!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Family bathroom vanity makeover

Wow, amazing work as always @Nham. Thank you so much for sharing with the community. I'm sure there will be plenty of admirers coming your way.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nham

Your vanity looks so beautiful. I especially like the new drawer runners you've placed in. I guarantee that everyone will be amazed at the smooth-glide action of the new drawers. That stone top is magnificent and I'm sure you got a fantastic deal by the sounds of it. I'm sure everyone in the house is very happy with the new vanity.  

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

tom_builds
Making a Splash

Great work @Nham , love the use of the stone for both the bencthop and splashback.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

It is incredible what a little update can do to a space! @Nham  the vanity looks larger now with the gorgeous quartz you have selected for the countertop and the backsplash. Doing the off-cuts definitely would have save you money!  How much do you think you saved with doing off-cuts? Are you okay with giving us a rough estimate for this reno?

Katie

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Hi @KatieC 

Jordan (Stonemason) gave us a choice of different patterns, ranging from $400 to $700 including installation of the countertop and splash-back. The different in price was purely base on the pattern design. If you have a small area, using a left over quartz slab is a good idea. All up, we were working on a budget of $1000, but went over by $400. My favourite part is the basin, we reposition it be in line with the cabinets and that opened up more bench space.  

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

That's very clever @Nham to reposition the sink like that, I would have never thought of it! 

$400 isn't too bad, it is a bathroom after all. 

Amazing savings tips as well, keep them coming!

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects