Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Glass mirror restoration project

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Glass mirror restoration project

Before 1.jpgBefore 2.jpg

I found this glass mirror out on my back patio amidst all the rubbish that was being removed. I knew it could be restored nicely and I need a mirror for the bathroom. So, I am going to restore it. The carpet in the background is getting laid next Monday! Cannot wait. 

I am taking photos along the way so I will update as I go. 

Wouldy

Re: Glass mirror restoration project

IMG_20211217_154419.jpg

Got the mirror covered up well. First coat of varnish has gone on. More updates when finished.

IMG_20211225_202711.jpg

IMG_20211225_202120.jpg

IMG_20211225_202044.jpg

IMG_20211225_202358.jpg

IMG_20211225_202449.jpg

@EricL 

I finished the mirror last night. I wish I could take better photos. It will have to do. 

I'm overally happy with how it turned out. If I had the money I would have replaced the backing. So, I figured no one is going to see that part much anyway. 

The finish on the backing and frame I used was Bondall Monocel Clear Satin Based Wood Varnish. I had never worked with a satin water varnish before. Although the bonus is it was quick drying. Heavy duty brass D rings holds up to 25kg.

I learnt a few things of what not do. Definitely will never tape the frame again to protect it. It was a silly mistake which caused a lot of extra work. There are a few markings around the left edging on the piece of glass. I couldn't get it off. 

As I said it turned out OK. One less thing that avoided being thrown out. 

Wouldy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks fabulous @Wouldy! Great work and well done saving it from landfill.

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @MitchellMc 

Yeah, it would have been a terrible waste of something that still had potential. I enjoyed it. You are always learning something new with every project. I guess I'm a bit pickier as I'm seeing it up close and worked with it so intimately. 

However, I am happy with it and it is a beautiful mirror. I think it's a keeper this one. 

Wouldy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects