Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grout and mosaic mirror frames

jumana93
Finding My Feet

Grout and mosaic mirror frames

hi I'm making a mosaic mirror frame and now I just Need to grout it to finish it off. Just wanted clarity on how to use grout. Is it powder that you buy and then do you mix it with water or something? And then do you just put it over the entire frame to fill the gaps in between ceramic tiles and the grout can be cleaned off the tiles later? 

20200926_204059.jpg

Thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: grout and mosaic mirror frames

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jumana93. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

You can buy powdered grout but I would generally recommend that as a cost-saving measure for larger tiling projects. For your mirror, I would recommend the pre-mixed Mandala Art 500g White Super Fine Mosaic Grout. If you would like a different colour we have a whole range of powdered grouts to choose from.

You apply the grout with a rubber grout squeegee and push it into all the gaps and cracks. Try to remove most of the grout off the tile surfaces once you have filled in between the tiles. When the grout is starting to set up, you can use a damp cloth to wipe it off the surface of the tiles. If you are finding it difficult to remove the dried grout from the surface of the tiles try using a scourer. The longer you leave the grout the harder it will be to remove. It's a bit of a waiting game. You don't want the grout so soft it pulls out of the gaps between you tiles when cleaning, but not so hard as to make it difficult to remove from the surface of the tile.

Let me mention a couple of our resident mosaicing experts @TerryN, @CharlieG and @maryg to see if they could offer some advice on your project.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Grout and mosaic mirror frames

I trust Mitch's advice was helpful @jumana93. Please let us know if you need any further assistance. We are looking forward to seeing the finished frame.  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: grout and mosaic mirror frames

Thanks so much for the advice feel very confident I can complete the project now, will definitely post outcome! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects