Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hobless shower height

Benniv
Finding My Feet

Hobless shower height

Hi guys. Looking for info on hobless shower. Planning to screed myself.

How much drop from the screed in the bathroom to the shower  is needed? 

20210815_091113.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hobless shower height

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Benniv. It's terrific that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about bathroom screeding.

You'll find that the exterior edge of most hobless shower bases are flush with the surrounding floor level. A trim is added which prevents water from escaping. The shower screen is then installed. What is needed, though, is fall within the shower base towards the drain. 14mm of fall from the outside edge of the shower to the drain is adequate over a shower that measures 1200mm from corner to corner.

You should find these step-by-step guides useful:

If you're still deciding on your layout, you might like to read through this helpful guide: How to plan a bathroom renovation by @Adam_W.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell. 

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I was under the assumption you needed a form of lip step down around the shower. (Ie 10mm-20mm ) 

But

So to confirm if I had a 900x 900mm . Shower I could fall it 10/11mm .

Is that the most common practice? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Benniv,

You could create a lip step down or have a water stop trim angle that is proud of the tiles. I believe the relevant code you are looking for is as3740.

Enclosed Shower Area without Hobs or set-down

At the extremity of the shower area: 

• Where a shower screen is to be installed, a water stop is to be installed with a vertical leg finishing a minimum of 5mm above the finished floor level.

• Where the water stop meets the wall, the junction is to be waterproofed.

The L or T shaped aluminium trim is glued directly to the substrate, and waterproofing is bought up to it. Where it joins to the wall, it is also to be waterproofed. The tiles are then laid up to the vertical leg. This vertical leg must finish at a minimum of 5mm above the tile. Your shower screen can either be installed next to the trim or, if it has a rebate in the bottom channel, over it.

For shower floors without a vertical separation, the minimum fall is 1:80. That's from the edge of the shower to the drain. So, if the distance between your edge to drain were 80cm, you would have 1cm of fall. Yours will be around 45cm, so you'd have more like 0.6cm in fall. It never hurts to go a little steeper, as per my previous reply.

Please note: As per as3740, I've edited my previous comment for clarity to reflect the fact that a water stop trim must be installed in combination with the shower screen. A shower screen does not supersede this use of a verticle waterproofed trim.

Mitchell

Awesome ! 

Just one question since you're on a roll. 

When screeding for bathroom floor, What allowance from the screed to finished floor in the bedroom (floor boards) do you allow for tile and adhesive.? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Benniv

My colleague @MitchellMc is currently on a much-needed break and will be back on Friday. However, to answer your query if your tiles are 8mm thick, the thickness of the tile glue will be the same less 2mm for settling. I recommend getting one of your tiles and measure it against the slot of a QEP 8mm Square Notch Handyman Adhesive Trowel. If the tile does not fit the top of the slot, go for the next size up. 

Using smaller trowels is not recommended as it will not provide enough glue for the tile to hold on to. It sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide while renovating your shower would be much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects