Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hot water tap working but COLD water tap not working

Sugar
Having an Impact

Hot water tap working but COLD water tap not working

Hi all, 

I have double vanities in my bathroom. 

In one , Both COLD & HOT water tap works fine. Although it makes sounds when turning on COLD water tap.

In second one, HOT water tap works but COLD water tap does not work. It has been happening for 1 month ( almost). At some point, it had worked fine for a day or two after it showed problem for the first time but it lasted only for a day and now, no water is coming at all. 

What could be the problem? Is the water leaking somewhere affecting my house structure ( may be i am overthinking)? 

Should I get plumber to fix this or is it something I can do myself with some or little precautions ?

I hope I made my problem clear.

Thank you team. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hot water tap working but COLD water tap not working

Hi @Sugar,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be pleased to assist in finding the issue. In order to give any advice, we'd need to see what type of tap it is. Is it a mixer tap or two independent taps hot and cold? It is something you could attempt to fix yourself. You would need to isolate the water at the mains and disassemble the tap. There might be an isolation valve under the sink which you could turn the water off from there.

If it is a mixer tap there will be a white cartridge inside which you will need to take into a Bunnings store to have matched up and replaced.

If there are two independent taps, occasionally a washer can get stuck in place preventing water from flowing through even when the tap is turned on. Inside you will find a valve washer which is what might be stuck. This will need to be removed and replaced.

If you would like to upload some images of the taps we can provide further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc

They are independent taps. I will post image once I am at home. Thank you for prompt reply. 

@MitchellMc 

Attached are the images. Hopefully they will help you to tell me, what I can do next ?

The water cannot leak in such case, can it?

1593470858730.JPEG1593470858703.JPEG1593470858608.JPEG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sugar,

They appear to be standard taps which will have a tap valve washer inside of them. You should grab everything you need before starting. That would include a tap valvemulti-grip plierstap spanners and thread tape. You might not use all these and un-used items can be returned to the store. I am reasonably confident it will be a stuck tap valve and opening the tap will be able to confirm that for you. If it isn't, then a plumber will be able to sort the issue out and diagnose why the water is not flowing.

There is no isolation valve under the sink to turn that tap off, so you'll need to shut off the mains water to the property before taking the tap apart. 

Please let me know if you need assistance with taking the tap apart or had questions.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

Thank you for the reply.

I believe this is where we can shut off main water. 

Sugar_0-1593473864823.png

And also, I cannot see any water leaked underneath the sink and around tap. So I believe there is no water leaking and harming the surface. I cannot visually see any damage to anything. My plan is: if no any damage is happening, I can wait 1-2 months because I am changing the vanities in my bathroom. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Sugar It is always possible water is leaking elsewhere, but I find it unlikely. It is much more likely that the tap valve has seized than the water is leaking from the pipe elsewhere. Inside the cover, there should be a tap, turn it off. Then check other taps inside to make sure no water is coming out of them before continuing.

@MitchellMc ,

I did not get this line " It is always possible water is leaking elsewhere " 

and "It is much more likely that the tap valve has seized than the water is leaking from the pipe elsewhere". 

So what you are saying is, in such a case there is chance ( not always) that the water could be leaking ( even the tap is not turned on) somewhere inside the property?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sugar,

Correct. I can't rule out a leak, it is possible, but it is also highly unlikely. It is best to first check the tap as there is a good chance that is the problem.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects