Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How I clean my painted shower tiles

daniknight4
Becoming a Leader

Last year we completed a small budget bathroom makeover, probably 95% of it would have been painting.

Another pro using tile paint is that mould doesn't seem to adhere to the grout as it becomes sealed with the paint, making them so much quicker and easier to clean.Another pro using tile paint is that mould doesn't seem to adhere to the grout as it becomes sealed with the paint, making them so much quicker and easier to clean.

This included our shower and our shower floor recess and I always worried after they were painted how I would clean these. I assumed we couldn't use bleach because it would discolor the paint. Little did I know that mould would now be a thing of the past and bleach would be no more. In this week's video I show you how I now clean my shower and if you are thinking of using tile paint in the bathroom or anywhere really this video may be of interest.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How I clean my painted shower tiles

That looks super easy, @daniknight4, and I'm shocked to see that nothing appears to imbed itself in the paint. Your cleaning regime is undoubtedly a lot less involved than mine on my grout.

Many thanks for sharing, as I'm sure many of our members considering painting their tiles will be wondering just how well it stands up to mould growth in a shower.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@daniknight4 

I have a cream bathroom and have been tempted so many times to redo it with the painting of tiles. One concern is the cleaning. You showed the grout but what about soap scum on the tiles itself? I would generally use a piece of steel wool :surprised: but dont think the paint would hold up. Also how long have you had the pain in use for? Definently tempted as it looks 100% better.

Dave

Hi @Dave-1 thank you!

I know it was always something I was sort of worried about and I know what you mean you can't really scrub the tiles especially with steel wool😁. The tiles on the shower walls funnily enough don't have any soap scum on them that I can really see, but I would say a light brush with the toothbrush would be ok I guess. In saying that I do try, not all the time though, to wipe them down but honestly they really seem clean, it has just been the between the tiles that gets a bit grimy. The floor tiles I gave a good scrub with the soft toothbrush as you might have seen in the video and they came up fine but even with these the dirt seemed more in the grout than in the tile. It is noticeable when you get soap scum on dark tiles but this has only happened in a few little spots on the floor which has been easy to get off with a little light abrasion. We have been using the bathroom for a year and keep in mind it's used most mornings and each night and we have 4 to 5 adults - depending on who's home - using it ATM. We had cream tiles too and the white is so fresh looking. I understand your concern though, it doesn't seem natural to paint the shower😆but it was a cheap but still attractive and practical solution for us anyway😊

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

:smile: Thank you

Its bumped it up the list of possibilites by a lot. 

Might just bite the bullet and give it a go. Time to start collecting all the other parts I need.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Dave-1

I'm glad that @daniknight4's technique has inspired you to give it a go in your own bathroom. Please make sure to post an update so that our members can see the results of the painted bathroom tiles.

Eric

That's great, if we can do it anyone can😁

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@daniknight4 

I have a cream bathroom and have been tempted so many times to redo it with the painting of tiles. One concern is the cleaning. You showed the grout but what about soap scum on the tiles itself? I would generally use a piece of steel wool :surprised: but dont think the paint would hold up. Also how long have you had the pain in use for? Definently tempted as it looks 100% better.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dave-1 

Let me tag @daniknight4 to make sure they are aware of your question. Since nothing seems to be sticking to the surface of the paint, I suspect that the same cleaning regimen can be applied. But instead of using a toothbrush, you could use a soft yellow sponge in soapy water.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects