Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I clean a green stain on basin?

joejoe
Growing in Experience

How can I clean a green stain on basin?

1000006027.jpg

Hi,

I am unsure if the green has transferred from the soap bottle, which was placed on it, the silver is stained green. How can I remove this without damaging/scratching the silver off? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I clean a green stain on basin?

Hi @joejoe,

Can you tell if that insert is stainless steel and metal, the same as the tub, or is it a plastic insert? You can use a scourer or try some stainless steel cleaner if it is metal. If the green buildup comes off easily, you likely won't need to scratch the stainless steel. If it's more stubborn, you might need to polish it back up again after the cleaning process.

If the insert is plastic, you must be more careful. Start with a soft bristle brush and some warm soapy water. Let us know if that doesn't resolve the issue, and we can try other methods.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
joejoe
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell. It came away, unfortunately it looked/sounded like metal, but was plastic. Some of the silver came off. How can I repair this? 

Also any advice on how to remove scratches in a stainless steel sink? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @joejoe,

You might like to touch up the plastic insert with some chrome spray paint

Fine scratches in stainless steel can be buffed out with polish. For deeper scratches, you'd need to work through various grades of sandpaper until the scratch is minimised before polishing. You might start with 600-grit and then work your way up to 1200-grit. Sink tubs typically have a brushed finish, so you might not need to go above the 600-grit for a reasonable result.

Mitchell

joejoe
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell, is it possible to have this post deleted? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @joejoe,

Typically, posts on the community are not deleted as they provide a great deal of assistance for future members with similar issues.

I'll reach out via private message to discuss further.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects