Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I clean a stained bath?

wendylee
Growing in Experience

How can I clean a stained bath?

I've moved into a rental and the bath is quite stained. I think some is paint drips from someone trying to paint over chips,  but the bath looks dirty. I've tried the usual gumption and jif. It's there something else i could try please.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i clean a stained bath please.

Hello @wendylee

Thanks for sharing your question about your stained bath. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your bath? This will give our members a chance to assess the condition of your bath and see what kind of stain you have on it. We can then make recommendations on how to possibly clean it. 

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How can I clean a stained bath?

Hi @wendylee,

Let me know if you need a hand uploading some photos of your bath. We're here to help.

You might also be interested in these bathroom cleaning tips from the Bunnings team. They suggest you try bicarb (bicarbonate of soda) which you can either sprinkle on a damp cloth or, for tougher scum build-up, mix with white vinegar and apply as a paste. Let it sit on the stain and then scrub – the acidity in the vinegar will help to break down the scum.

Jason

wendylee
Growing in Experience

Thank you. I tried taking pics but you can't see the problem. Anyway I'll try the bicarb and see if it helps 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @wendylee

Please let us know if the bicarb works, if the camera is not picking up the stain, can you please give us a description of it? Is it under the enamel of the bath or on its surface? Is it like a red shadow stain under the paint? Any extra information you can give us will help us identify the stain. We can then make more recommendations on how to clean it.

Eric

wendylee
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric, i tried the bicarb and i must say it looks a lot better than before. I just need to buy some more vinegar and give it another go.

Thanks for your help

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @wendylee 

Thank you very much for the update. It's good to hear that the bicarb improved the finish of your bath. Just keep in mind that when you mix the bicarb with the vinegar to give it enough time to activate and scrub the mixed paste very well into the tub. Rinse off with hot water and use a clean rag to dry the entire surface of the tub.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bath stain free.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects