Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I clean these shower tiles?

appi_arpit2002
Just Starting Out

How can I clean these shower tiles?

Can someone please suggest , how can we clean these tiles or its easier to replace them ? 

I am not sure what kind of layer has formed on it.

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-08 at 11.13.22 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-08-08 at 11.13.22 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-08-08 at 11.13.21 PM.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I clean these shower tiles?

Hello @appi_arpit2002

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question bout cleaning tiles.

I suggest using Selleys 750ml Rapid Mould Killer Remover with a few drops of dishwashing liquid. I recommend using Mr Clean Handheld Iron Scrub Brush over the affected area and see if the blemish will wash away. Continue brushing until the tile is clean and all the dirt has disappeared.

As for the painted area, I suggest using a Trojan Safety Scraper With 5 Blades. Carefully scrape the paint off the tile while being careful not to damage the surface of the tile. Your goal is to remove the paint to reveal the face of the tile. 

However, over-cleaning by the former owner could have damaged the tile and scraped away the porcelain surface. If that's the case, I'm afraid your only choice is to replace the tiles in your shower. Although I'm not sure of the history of the white paint patch in your shower, there could be something hiding underneath it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric , 

Thank you for your response. 

Well the white portion  which you can see in the photograph is the actual color of the tiles and rest of the area seems to be covered with some kind of coating or sealer not sure what it is.  .

So , Kindly suggest what chemical i can try for removing the coating of these tiles , i am thinking of trying the scraper , if that works. 

Regards,

Appi

Hi @appi_arpit2002,

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! You'll find the community to be a great source of inspiration and advice on all things DIY and garden. @EricL will be back online later this afternoon to suggest some chemicals or methods to try and clean up your tiles.

If you need assistance with features on Workshop like bookmarking or liking someone's post, please feel free to reach out. 

Katie

Hello @appi_arpit2002

If the floor tiles have been sealed and the dirt underneath has been sealed with it, I'm afraid no amount of scrubbing will clean that area. If the white portion of the tile is the original colour or surface cover, I recommend leaving it alone for the meantime if you have no plans of renovating. The sealer is preventing water from going through your tiles and grout thereby preventing any water from leaking. However, if you are planning on re-tiling the floor, just keep in mind that the area will have to be waterproofed as well. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects