Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fix the broken door handle?

Kees56
Finding My Feet

How can I fix the broken door handle?

IMG_2913.jpeg

IMG_2912.jpeg

 please help me how to get it out and how to get the new one installed. Thanks! 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How can I fix the broken door handle?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Kees56. We're delighted to have you join us and look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects. 

Sorry to hear about your broken door handle. Let me call upon our knowledgeable members @Jewelleryrescue@JacobZ95 and @Nailbag to see if they have any thoughts on how to assist. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @Kees56 

Underneath the brass plate will be some fixings that either go into the door or through to the other side of the door. If you can get this plate off you can detach the handle from the door and will be able to remove everything that’s inside. 

Let me know how you go, I’m happy to assist further if you run into trouble.

Cheers,

Jacob 

Kees56
Finding My Feet

I really appreciate your reply and I will be trying tomorrow.

The problem is I can’t get the brass plate out ??? Anyway thanks for your time .

Smithrj
Building a Reputation

Hi @Kees56,

I had a houseful of these handles until recently. You may be able to remove the brass plate by unscrewing it. I applied some WD40 on ours around the edge to loosen the thread, then used some rubber grip sheet (similar to what you put under rugs to stop slipping) to grab it with. By applying a bit of force I was able to unscrew and reveal the screws beneath. Hope that helps!

Good luck!

Rod.

Thank you very much, Rod. I will definitely take your advice.

Nailbag
Making a Splash

@Smithrj is on the money, the roses unscrew. If you are struggling to get a grip, use vice grips or multi-grips on the raised inner edge of the rose to turn it anticlockwise You can buy affordable ones of these at Bunnings that will come in handy again one day.

As a last resort you might need to pry it off (I have had this happen). Drill a 10mm hole just near the edge of the rose and only through the rose. You can use a hammer and nail to centre punch the spot to prevent the drill bit from slipping.

Then use a flat bladed screw driver to pry it off by levering up the outer edge. Once off there will be two Phillip head screws to remove the mechanism. 

Thank you for your help. I’m going to looking for someone to pay for this job and I have been stroke for a few months now the struggle is getting worse. I’m really appreciative of all assistance and advice from this community.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kees56 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. Since the handle has been broken removing the cover flange should be straight forward. I propose grabbing the edge of the gold-coloured flange and twisting it clockwise to remove it. 

It is held in place with a mounting flange with hooks that catch on to the inside of the cover flange. If it is a bit slippery you can try and use a jar opening rubber rag to purchase some grip on its surface. 

However, if after several attempts and it refuses to budge, I suggest engaging the services of a trade's person on Airtasker or Hipages to replace the handle for you. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects