Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fix this odd fly wire set up on toilet window ?

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How can I fix this odd fly wire set up on toilet window ?

Good morning friends, this is a crazy one I’m hoping you can help me with it please. 

Cleaning and preparing the toilet for painting. I removed the extremely old curtain that was covering the window. 
Top part of the window has aluminium fly wire that’s disintegrated ( 1994 ) never been touched. 
I want to fix it so I started to pull apart the trim to see what is underneath. 

I hope I can explain this properly to give you enough information. 

Fly wire just fell apart as I was touching it so I removed what I could. 

I removed the black plastic trim that sits on top of the window, it still had fly wire attached in the slot looked like it was glued in maybe. 

I removed the black plastic trim / beading from the top, left and right. I couldn’t remove the bottom piece as it was tricky and I was worried about smashing the glass. So I left it for now. 

The fly wire looks like it is attached with pot rivets but I could be mistaken and it’s just part of the security screen .

There is a very sticky black strip all around the border of the frame and the glass is not budging from it. Also looks like the fly wire is stuck to it. 

I don’t want to replace the glass, I just want to replace the fly wire. It’s a weird set up. 

Please ignore the cobwebs on the outside of the window security screen lol. 

Here are the photos, I’ll attach a few, I’m hoping I can fix it . Thank you in advance. 

IMG_9009.jpeg

IMG_9019.jpeg

IMG_9021.jpeg

IMG_9022.jpeg

 looks like fly wire is glued in the strip 

IMG_9023.jpeg

IMG_9025.jpeg

IMG_9030.jpeg

IMG_9031.jpeg

I think the pot rivets are there for the security screen so the fly wire must be attached to the sticky black strip  

IMG_9034.jpeg

 Happy with the glass, just want to fix the top part of it 

IMG_9039.jpeg

IMG_9041.jpeg

 This is the black sticky strips, the window is fused to it 

IMG_9042.jpeg

 I tried to remove the bottom beading but it wouldn’t move and I was worried about breaking the glass 

IMG_9043.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How can I fix this odd fly wire set up on toilet window ?

Hello @mich1972,

Thanks for providing those details and images of your window's fly wire.

I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be able to assist with your question once he's back online later today. In the meantime, let me also tag experienced Workshop member Jess @prettyliving who has authored the guide How to clean a fly screen in case she has any thoughts.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mich1972 

I suggest trying to remove the old flywire with pliers so that you can get a good grip. If the sticky sides of your window are still in good condition perhaps you can reuse them when you attach the new flywire.

To re-attach the new flywire, I propose installing it first on the bottom plastic strip then onto the glass followed by the sides and top. This will then allow you to re-install the plastic strips on your window without running into problems with the flywire.

However, just in case you need new tape, I recommend using Scotch-Mount Extreme Double-Sided Mounting Tape. As for the flywire, I propose using Cyclone 910mm x 2.05m UV Guard 68 Flywire.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Great !! Thank you for your reply and advice @EricL. I will get it sorted out and let you know 😊

IMG_9233.jpeg

 I replaced the fly wire @EricL  😃

IMG_9234.jpeg

 Just need to trim a tiny bit off. 

IMG_9225.jpeg

I couldn’t purchase the one you advised, no store had it in stock. But this one is absolutely fine.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks fantastic @mich1972, you've done an excellent repair job. I believe the best part is that should you have a similar window around the house, you'll now be able to repair it with ease.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects