Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I neatly weatherproof this poorly installed HPM wall fan?

Grantajnz
Getting Established

How can I neatly weatherproof this poorly installed HPM wall fan?

HPM fan EFH150SQWEHPM fan EFH150SQWEFan protruding a badly made hole. Is there a missing sealing flange?Fan protruding a badly made hole. Is there a missing sealing flange?Inside viewInside viewFront on view.Front on view.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I neatly weatherproof this poorly installed HPM wall fan?

Hello @Grantajnz 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to weatherproof your HPM wall fan.

I suggest using Deks 75 - 175mm Black Dektite Premium Roof Flashing in combination with Selleys 310g Translucent Roof And Gutter Silicone. Measure the size of the outside diameter of the wall outlet and cut out the necessary size on the Dektite Roof Flashing. Push the flashing onto the body of the wall outlet until it reaches the wall. Mould the aluminium flange of the flashing into the shape of the wall. If the 175mm piece is not big enough the Dektite Roof Flashing is available in a bigger size.

Make sure that all the dust and debris has been removed before applying the Roof and Gutter silicone. Use masking tape to keep the flashing in place until the silicone has cured. I recommend adding additional sealant on the edge of the flashing to give you a superior seal against the weather.

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Grantajnz 

I like @EricL idea, I have a similar exhaust fan, however, my problem was water leaking through the vents when it rained, so I changed the external part of the fan with a different vent as shown in the image below. Maybe you can adapt it to you fan too. Just make sure you silicone or caulk around the edges. You can also paint it to the same color as your building.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/haron-300-x-150mm-white-aluminium-pressed-wall-vent_p0810936

JoeAzza_1-1632807919735.jpeg

JoeAzza_0-1632807889635.jpeg

Grantajnz
Getting Established

The wall thickness is too small for this idea.  But a good way to overcome the noise problem that some vent flaps have.

Grantajnz
Getting Established

Thanks for the information. This is the best idea that I have so far for my problem. Surprised that HPM don't have a solution. I thought that a flashing was missing during the install kit.

Hi @Grantajnz 

Just for your information, I found your model fan, HPM EF150SQWE on line, I think it's a fan that is installed in a wall or ceiling with an optional duct and grill at the end.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1531164/Hpm-Ef150sqwe.html#manual

http://documents.portalink.net/product/324833/Product%20information%20R621-6D.pdf

JoeAzza_0-1632872708596.png

Grantajnz
Getting Established

My model with an auto shutterMy model with an auto shutter

Glad you found some information. I could not find that.

But that grill might not work for my model. From the info you found it is not clear if the auto shutter will work with another grill.

I will have to pull it apart to found out. I was hoping to read if it can be changed. HPM do not show weather proofing for a auto shutter that I can find.

My problem is the the wall cavity is very small. only about 50mm..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects