Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can i replace the mixer cartridge?

stuie1
Finding My Feet

How can i replace the mixer cartridge?

Hi,

I've got a leaky mixer tap, which I know most likely means the cartridge needs to be replaced. I've got the correct one. On the weekend I went to remove the "grub screw", however it didn't seem normal as it was a flat blade needed. As I started turning it the screw just disintegrated. Anyhow, I thought I'd just need to get a replacement one but now I've got two problems. 

1. I cannot even get the handle off to get to the cartridge to replace it.

2. Even if I can/do, I need a replacement grub screw now too.

Is it possible that the handle needs to be turned to remove or is it just stuck?

The tap (as far as I know) is an old Hansa Polo Quad, however I cannot find any details about the grub screw and/or if the handle may need to turn. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i replace the mixer cartridge

Hello @stuie1 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your mixer tap.

I'm sorry to hear that the grub screw has disintegrated when you tried to remove it. It is vital that the rest of the grub screw be removed otherwise you'll never be able remove the handle. Technically it is the grub screw that is holding the handle in place. 

However, it is also possible that the handle has fused with the cartridge post because of calcium deposits from the water. If you manage to remove the grub screw, the handle just needs to be swayed left to right until the calcium deposits crack and the handle comes loose.

If the handle becomes impossible to remove, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber. They will have the knowledge and tools on how to remove your stuck handle.

In regards to the grub screw, I recommend having a look at the Pinnacle M5 - M8 Black Assorted Grub Screw Set. There is a very good chance that one of these grub screws will fit your handle.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric, I’ll make sure all the grub screw is out and I think from the specs M5 for a replacement will do. Would it help to put some CLR or similar calcium remover on the handle?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @stuie1 

Putting some CLR should break down the calcium deposit and retard its accumulation. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi again, well I’ve managed to get the handle off but if the chrome cover has to come off. It’s stuck. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Is that meant to come off or do I need a tool to get the cartridge out?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @stuie1,

You can see in your second photo a brass nut around the outside of the mixer cartridge. This is what you'll need to get to to remove the old cartridge.

I suspect that the cover plate needs to be removed to allow you to remove the tap body.

Have you tried to gently lever the cover plate off with a flathead screwdriver?

Does it feel like it has been stuck in place with silicone?

Have you tried rotating the tap body using a pair of multigrip pliers with a cloth to protect the chrome?

This tap body is likely removed by rotating, but it is likely that the cover plate needs to be removed to allow it to come off.

Let me know how you go, I'm more than happy to help troubleshoot further.

Jacob

Thanks for your help. Yes it was stuck tight with silcon. Once if gently but firmly wriggled/turns the outer cover the whole lot came off back plate and all (as it was all together) after that it was relatively simple. Thank for the help and advice. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @stuie1,

That's brilliant to hear. I'm glad you had some success.

If you have any other D.I.Y. questions in the future, keep us in mind.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects