Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I clean off tile gaze?

DT
Just Starting Out

How do I clean off tile gaze?

I have tile gaze on tiles in a new build after a lazy tiler left the mess and refuses to come back and clean up. I got another professional to come in who tried Sikaceram to get it off but that has now made it worse / left a big water mark. Anyone know how to clean this up properly?  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I clean off tile gaze

Hi @DT 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your tiles.

Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a picture of the tiles? This will enable our members to assess the type of water mark that has been left on the surface of your tile. We can then make recommendations on how to possibly remove it.

Generally, when a thin film of grout is left on the surface of the tile it hardens and becomes very hard to remove. This is something that might have happened to your tile surface. But we will be able to diagnose it better once we see the photos.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DT
Just Starting Out

Re: How do I clean off tile gaze?

20230820_134111[1].jpg20230820_134107[1].jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I clean off tile gaze?

Hello @DT 

Thank you for posting those photos of your tiled bathroom. Before you attempt any further cleaning of the surface, I recommend exhausting any options you have with the original installer or the other trade person who attempted to clean your tiles. If this can't be rectified by cleaning, there could be a significant cost involved to re-tile the area.

As of the moment the tile works is technically still under guarantee as the tiles have just been laid down. Any attempt on your part to use a chemical cleaner on its surface might render your warranty void. 

However, if you wish to try a cleaner, I suggest having a look at Builders Edge 750ml Cement 'N' Concrete Remover. I highly recommend doing a small test section in an inconspicuous location as the cleaner itself might cause damage to the tiles.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when using the cleaner. Please make sure to follow all the recommended safety precautions printed at the back of the bottle.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects