Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I convert a spare toilet into a laundry room?

marketrix
Just Starting Out

How do I convert a spare toilet into a laundry room?

IMG_1756.png

Hi everyone!
I've just purchased my first home - a solid 69-year-old Queenslander.
Very new to the world of building/DIY - and could use your help.
I have a spare toilet on the second floor that I need to install a laundry in. I have never installed a toilet or a laundry so I am completely clueless. Is it possible to use the same ducting/pipes? Do I need a tradesperson (and what kind?) to re-do anything? Are there any alternatives? Really appreciate the help. TIA.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I convert a spare toilet into a laundry room?

Hi @marketrix 

Well  you  would be able to fit a washing machine and possibly and over head dryer venting into roof space,at far  end against the rear in the corner. (Some nice washer drier combos out there these days) 

Maybe some slim shelfing 150mm  and a bench down one wall (Not  behind the door.)

You  will need  power and re plumbing for floor drain for the washing machine to  flow into.

There would only be cold water  which is  ok?  because some washing machines heat there own water,

Well its do able.

Why  dont you draw up your toilet space to scale and  see if washing machines and some shelving will fit or  other  things you might like.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @marketrix 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about turning your toilet into a laundry room.

Can you please provide us with the measurements of the toilet? This will allow me sketch up a laundry layout for you. This will also tell me if the washing machine and dryer will fit inside the provided space. 

However, before you start your project, have you considered placing your laundry in another part of your new house? Removing the toilet from your current room count could affect the value of the house. It is also very convenient having an extra toilet when there are more than four family members in the house.

I propose thinking about locating the laundry in the garage if there is enough space. Another common location is in the kitchen designing it like a European kitchen. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @marketrix,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

I tend to agree with Eric that it would be good to explore other options for locating your laundry as it's very handy to have additional toilets. Could you perhaps share your entire home floorplan so our community members can see what you are working with and suggest alternative approaches?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects