Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I correctly install a diy exposed pebble shower floor?

Imhypo
Just Starting Out

How do I correctly install a diy exposed pebble shower floor?

Hi I am installing a diy pebble shower floor and have been given so much advice and watched many diy videos that I am a wee bit confused, of course I want my showerfloor to not crack or discolour & look good.

Floor has been reinforced underneath and shower area has been waterproofed twice with Dunlop Waterproofing membrane.

Do I need to install a ceramic tile underlay, then deck mud (mixture of cement & sand) to create the fall then waterproof again then lay my concrete/mortar and place my pebbles wash off excess and once dry seal with epoxy resin/polyurethane ? I want non slip and to feel the exposed pebbles with my feet.  Please help

20201115_121307.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I correctly install a diy exposed pebble shower floor

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Imhypo. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

You only need to waterproof the once and it sounds like that has already been done. The next step would be screeding the surface to grade towards the drain. Once a grade has been established you can start glueing your pebbles down with tile adhesive. The waterproofing membrane can go on top or below the mortar/screed. With either choice, it needs to continue down into the drain hole/puddle flange.

Are these individual pebbles or pre-fabricated sheets of them? Once they have been laid you would then grout between the pebbles to finish the job.

I'm not sure why the pebbles would need to be sealed with the epoxy resin/polyurethane unless these are individual pebbles which you're worried about dislodging.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects