Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix a dryer bracket to existing timber batten?

StevenNobol
Finding My Feet

How do I fix a dryer bracket to existing timber batten?

Hello all, Have moved into a rental which has an existing wooden timber batten fixed to the wall studs in the laundry (see picture below) which the previous tenants had their dryer bracket mounted on.

How should I  fix my dryer bracket to this timber batten? The instructions that came with the dryer bracket say to use coach bolts*, but how would I access the back of the timber batten to fit the bolts? Could I use coach screws instead, would they support the dryer?

(*the dryer bracket instructions say to use 6mm x 30mm coach bolts).

LaundryBatten.png

Thanks for any guidance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix a dyer bracket to existing timber batten?

Hi @StevenNobol 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to fix your dryer bracket on a timber batten.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Re: How to mount dryer with no studs? @bect73. They eventually decided to use Zenith 12G x 25mm Galvanised Hex Head Timber Screws. However, if you feel you need bigger screws you can go the next size up which is 14G. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the dryer bracket? Our members can then assess the number of screws it can actually take. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. My only other suggestion is to attach your bracket to a new position and not to re-use the existing holes on the timber batten.

I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how to mount your dryer. Please make sure to have an extra pair of hands to lift and mount the dryer to prevent injuring yourself.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric, very helpful. Have attached picture of dryer bracket below. It takes six screws and I can attach the bracket to the wood batten without re-using the previous holes.

What I'm not sure about is that the dryer bracket instructions say to use coach bolts to attached the bracket to the wooden batten, but there's no access to the back of the wooden batten, so I can't use coach bolts.. so was thinking to use coach screws instead?

The holes in the bracket are about 6mm across and the instructions say to use 6mm x 30 mm bolts - so what you've suggested seems to be the closest match - timber screws DyerBracket.jpg

Hi @StevenNobol,

Do they actually picture bolts in the instructions? The term coach bolt is often mistakenly used to describe coach screws.

The only way you could use a coach or cup head bolt (almost identical) is if they are passed through the rear side of the timber batten, so their threads are exposed on the front before it is attached to the wall. That would allow you to place your bracket onto the exposed threaded studs and use nuts to fix it into position. Do the instructions seem to indicate this? I've created a rendering below to illustrate.

Having the bolts pass through from the rear side is a more solid connection for your bracket. However, the timber batten is still fixed to the studs with screws, so bolts to hold the bracket are a bit overkill. In my opinion, using coach screws would be sufficient to attach your bracket to the batten. You might like to pop another screw through the batten on either side into the stud, as I can only see one there presently.

Remember to get assistance when placing the dryer into position. It might be tempting to try it yourself, but it's best done safely with a helper.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects