Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix a leaking laundry wall tap, that washing machine hose connects to?

Riby
Finding My Feet

How do I fix a leaking laundry wall tap, that washing machine hose connects to?

How to fix leaking laundry wall tap that connects to washing machine hose?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix a leaking laundry wall tap, that washing machine hose connects to?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Riby. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

As taps can leak from several areas, it would be helpful if you could provide a bit more information so our knowledgeable members can assist. The easiest option would be to post an image indicating where the leak is coming from.

As the tap is permanently connected and turned on, I would presume it is not the jumper washer causing the issue. If the tap is leaking out of its body, then it would either be the fibre washer or the O ring on the spindle that needs replacing. This FIX-A-TAP Soft Turn Repair Kit includes both. Alternatively, it could be the connection and hose that is leaking. In this case, you'd look at tightening it or replacing the internal washer with one from a Kinetic 12mm and 19mm Nut and Tail Washers kit.

I look forward to hearing more details of the issue and providing further information about replacing the necessary parts.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do I fix a leaking laundry wall tap, that washing machine hose connects to?

Hi Mitchell, the tap is turned off and still drips from the tap at hose connection 

ADED8226-E5C1-42B7-A0BF-C60F3A21720B.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Riby,

Then it is the jumper washer that needs replacing. This washer seals the water from coming out of the spout or outlet. After turning your mains water off and removing the tap's handle, you'll need to take an adjustable wrench and turn the section I've marked in red anti-clockwise. Once you remove it, you'll find the jumper washer that needs replacing. You'll most likely need some thread tap to re-wrap around the threads before screwing the upper tap cover back into position.

Let me mention @redracer01 to see if there is anything he can add about this specific style of tap.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Riby 

Below are a few pictures that might help. Run the sequence backwards to re assemble.

Cheers,

Red

IMG20210514142554.jpg

IMG20210514142636.jpg

IMG20210514142707.jpg

IMG20210514143316.jpg

IMG20210514143415.jpg

IMG20210514143400.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Many thanks for taking the time to disassemble a unit for us @redracer01. I trust @Riby appreciates you going to that effort.

Mitchell

Thx @MitchellMc and @redracer01,

The diagrams the @redracer01 put up are exactly what I tried to do but could not get the two parts apart to get to the washer. Even after buying all the necessary items including a bigger shifter, I had to call a plumber, as the water was turned off and we needed to live!

But many thanks for your great advise and help.

Much appreciated 

Riby

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear you've resolved the issue, @Riby. Sometimes taps can get quite stuck, and it becomes challenging to take them apart.

Please let us know if you ever have a project you'd like to share or need assistance around the home or garden. We're here to help.

Mitchell

MaxBan
Growing in Experience

While you have the tap apart check the brass seat.

If it has been dripping for quite a while the water may have cut a groove in the brass seat so fitting a new washer will not completely solve the problem as water will still pass through the cut.

Bunnings sells stainless steel tap seats which can repair a damaged seat in a jiffy.

Max Bancroft

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects