Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I prepare a brick wall for tiling?

wonderiz
Finding My Feet

How do I prepare a brick wall for tiling?

Dear all, 

I removed old tiles in my bathroom, and i think i removed them a little bit too much (please see photo attached).  Later I am also gonna remove the rest of the tiles and the basin. 

What should I do to make it ready for tiling ? 
Many thanks!!! 
Jundi

A3ECA721-B991-4DAD-B195-22032DD3E76F.jpeg

41379CE6-6FD3-4BA8-B7BF-5CD628B0804C.jpeg

2B3418E3-3085-4759-B1BB-DF86B1B8E9AD.jpeg

E3401DA0-DCE1-43E1-851E-08646038954F.jpeg

D55D94FB-C74B-4CC9-87EA-F169D6060FE7.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do I prepare a brick wall for tiling

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Jundi (@wonderiz). Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

It's great to have you join us and fantastic to hear you've embarked on renovating your bathroom. If the whole bathroom is brick, then I would advise continuing as you have been and remove the tiles and backing board down to the bricks. You will need to then thoroughly clean the bricks and brush on a coat of Bondcrete. You can then glue Villaboard to the bricks with construction adhesive and mechanically fix it in place with Tapcon screws. This will provide a flat surface to begin your tiling and appears to be the same method in which the tiles were first applied.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: how do I prepare a brick wall for tiling

Wow wow! Thank you very much for your reply, Mitchell. I am very glad to find out the Bunnings Workshop, and so excited to receive advices like yours!
I shall do what you have taught me and come back to share updates. 
Thank you again.  :smile: 

Warm regards 

Jundi 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects