Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove these attachments from my toilet?

Kate58
Growing in Experience

How do I remove these attachments from my toilet?

My toilet seat broke this week and yesterday I purchased the Mondella Concerto Soft Close Toilet Seat to replace it. 

The toilet has this attachment and you cannot touch underneath it. I have tried ti remove the screws (with both a cordless screwdriver and manually) and while I can get the screws to turn, they are not loosening at all. Any ideas on what I need to do to remove the fixing?

IMG_0197.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I remove these attachments from my toilet?

Hi @Kate58,

There's likely a rubber or plastic insert inside the toilet bowl. When you screw the fitting in, the fitting expands. When trying to unscrew the fitting, the insert can spin in the hole. Try pushing a plastic scraper or a flathead screwdriver (gently) under the square plastic fitting in between it and the bowl. The idea is to wedge under and push the square fitting upwards, which should bind the internal fitting in position, allowing you to back the screw out.

Please let me know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kate58
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc 

Unfortunately this does not appear to be working either. The screw is turning slightly but still not getting any looser.

Kate

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Kate58 

I havnt worked on the same model of toilet. But looking at the phto does are the screws on the outside back underneath of the toilet? If thats the case you mabe be able to use a shifting spanner to hold the nut still while you undo it.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm still fairly confident this method will work @Kate58. If we put enough upward pressure on the fitting, it will bind in the hole and allow the screw to be undone. Unless, of course, the screw has stripped the plastic out and spins in the fitting. It might be worth trying to get the flathead screwdriver under the head of the screw and put upwards force on it when unscrewing. That can help back it out.

Regarding the first method, try using a block of timber as a fulcrum. Remember you need to put constant weight down on the flathead screwdriver as you unscrew the screw with your Phillips head screwdriver.

I'd persevere with this method for now, as the only alternative I can think of is destructive removal by cutting apart the fitting.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kate58
Growing in Experience

Hi @Dave-1 

Unfortunately the toilet does not allow access to the space beneath the screws so this isn’t an option.

Kate

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Kate58 

"Rats" then I would be trying @MitchellMc's suggestion (thats the next step Id take) Sometimes it seems we have to put more pressure then we expect/want is all. And balance that with too much. Maybe you could rock up to a Bunnings or bathroom place and take a look at a few insitu toilets to give you an idea or two?

Dave

Kate58
Growing in Experience

I persevered all day yesterday with no progress, and managed to bruise my palm from pressing down on the screwdriver 😬. Any suggestions on who would be the best person to contact for help with this? A general handyperson?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Kate58 

Id probarly head towards a plumber as if you have had a go and it dosnt make sense of how to dismantle a plumber who installs them would know more. Nice perservering btw The second reason why I suggest a plumber is then you will find out why/how it works :smile:

Dave

Kate58
Growing in Experience

Our building property manager had to come by today to replace a lock - he very kindly sorted the situation out for me and even installed the new seat. Thank you for all the encouragement!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects