Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you replace a seat washer on a Caroma toilet?

Bluetooth
Having an Impact

How do you replace a seat washer on a Caroma toilet?

20211116_132442.jpg

20211116_132437.jpg

my toilet was running and checking the seat washer, it was mostly disintegrated. Went to Bunnings and bought a pack of replacements. Trying to.get the things in is so hard that I ended up breaking both of the replacements. The first one because I tried using needle nose pliers to help, and the second snapped when I was trying to stretch it in.

I tried using soapy water, soaking the washeyin boiling water to make it more pliable, and getting my wife to help, but nothing worked. Now I have a toilet that's out of order and no replacements. Frustrating!

I'll go back to Bunnings for more replacements but I need a new strategy. Can anyone help?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you replace a seat washer on a Caroma toilet?

Hi @Bluetooth

Which seating washer did you use? For the dual flush system, I recommend using FIX-A-LOO Seating Washer - Suits Caroma Duoflo And Thunderflush. This and one other brand are the only compatible ones for the Caroma set. The dual flush system still uses a large traditional rubber-based seating washer. It can take a lot of abuse and can be stretched much further than regular thick washers. 

I can see from your photo that you've removed the top part of the dual flush mechanism. You shouldn't have any issues when sliding in the FIX-A-LOO Seating Washer. If you still run into issues would it be possible for you to post a photo of the bottom of the flushing mechanism? This will give us a better idea of what's going on. We'll then be able to offer you some recommendations on how to install the seating washer.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your cistern repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Who on earth used non-stainless steel fasteners to bolt that cistern to the wall?

That looks hideous, all that rust.

@EricLthat's done it! Thank you so much. The replacement that you suggested slid on with very little effort and it has solved the problem.

@MikeTNZ  You're absolutely right! In fact I have to replace another cistern in the laundry room of the exact same type and I'm concerned about getting the fasteners off!

I have put in a request with the special orders desk at Bunnings to find a the replacement cistern from Fowler (Caroma?), and they should be getting back to me in the next couple of days if they can find the right one. They told me that a universal one may not be suitable because the cistern sits on the base.

I dropped the lid to the cistern 6 months ago and it broker into about 6 pieces. 👍 So if I can't get the fasteners off do I need to attack it with an angle grinder?

20211116_132635.jpg

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

@Bluetooth,

Personally if it were me, I'd replace the cistern with something else.

The size of the pipe from the cistern to the pan should by rights be the same 65? mm.

You'd need a swept 90 degree bend and extra straight pipe to make that fit and PVC solvent.

You are going to need a grinder with a cut-off disc to remove them bolts.

I suppose I won't know the size of the pipe from the cistern to the pan until i cut off the bolts. Would you have any suggestion on what to replace the cistern with ? Is it pikey to have a plastic one?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bluetooth

Your toilet is either the Fowler Regent MkII or the Florida MkII. Both these toilets are close-coupled toilet suites. Their cisterns sit on the pan and they're not connected by a plastic flush pipe. I recommend changing the whole set as it is more cost-effective in the long run. Caroma purchased Fowler back in 1997 and they've discontinued a lot of the toilet suites keeping only the most popular ones in the market. I recommend the Caroma WELS 4 Star 3.5L/Min Luna Back To Wall Toilet Suite as a replacement for your current set.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Hi @EricL my toilet model is definitely a Florida. ( I can see it printed inside).

Thanks for the suggestion of a new set. Why did you recommend that particular set?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bluetooth

The Caroma WELS 4 Star 3.5L/Min Luna Back To Wall Toilet Suite is a perfect replacement for your Fowler suite. It is a close-coupled back-to-wall system. It will hide all the fittings and have a similar profile as your current toilet. Because it is a Caroma brand, you can be sure that you will be able to get spare parts. However, always refer to your plumber before purchasing this toilet suite. There may be installation conditions that need to be taken into consideration. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects