Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you replace a seat washer on a Caroma toilet?

Bluetooth
Having an Impact

How do you replace a seat washer on a Caroma toilet?

20211116_132442.jpg

20211116_132437.jpg

my toilet was running and checking the seat washer, it was mostly disintegrated. Went to Bunnings and bought a pack of replacements. Trying to.get the things in is so hard that I ended up breaking both of the replacements. The first one because I tried using needle nose pliers to help, and the second snapped when I was trying to stretch it in.

I tried using soapy water, soaking the washeyin boiling water to make it more pliable, and getting my wife to help, but nothing worked. Now I have a toilet that's out of order and no replacements. Frustrating!

I'll go back to Bunnings for more replacements but I need a new strategy. Can anyone help?

Re: How do you replace a seat washer on a Caroma toilet?

@EricLThanks for your suggestion. I'll consider a new suite. Bunnings special orders got back to me and let me know that Caroma has a replacement cistern (smaller size, but apparently it will fit), for a cost of $1,041. So clearly that is not an ideal solution, cost-wise.

It is frustrating that that a cracked lid on a toilet in the laundry will now result in over $1k spend for a new suite installed by a plumber. I wish there was some way to repair it.

Along with @EricL's excellent suggestion @Bluetooth, we have a huge range of toilet suites which you can choose from. From budget to premium and everything in between. I'd have to agree that the best solution is likely to replace the whole unit with a current model. That way, you'll know that parts are available. 

If you were prepared to remove the current toilet and have everything ready for the plumber's installation of a budget-friendly unit, then I'd think you could have a new installation done for well under $1K.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Peejay2
Getting Established

The washers sold by Bunnings for a Caroma system are red in colour and made in China.  They are a different size than the Fix a Loo washers and are smaller around the middle hole.  They are EXTREMELY difficult to get on even with the use of soapy water and they are difficult to get “even” around the outside of the washer.  The fix a loo washers are black and have a slightly larger hole in the middle.  I would suggest the Fix a loo-ones and will take the “Made in China”  ones back to Bunnings tomorrow (Christmas Eve !!!,). Just my luck that none of the plumbing places would be open on a Sat morning on Xmas eve !!!!!!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for the feedback, @Peejay

If you could possibly identify the washer you're referring to and the model of the flush outlet valve you were trying to install it on, I can pass your helpful feedback on to the supplier to look into. A washer designed for that flush outlet valve should not be extremely difficult to install, and there should be no need for soapy water. They should simply stretch over the locator and into position.

There are also some very similar-sized washers, even in the FIX-A-LOO range. You'll note two sizes in the image below, one also being smaller around the middle hole. These two similarly-sized washers are not interchangeable. Perhaps the red coloured washer you used was not designed for that model of flush valve?

Mitchell

I returned to Bunnings with my micrometer and eventually bought the fix a loo seating washers which suited caroma duoflo and thunder flush and they fitted more easily and sealed almost immediately. They are more expensive and unfortunately many of the washer packs are just labelled with the name of the cistern with no other description of other possible products or product options that may fit that cistern.  The duoflo and thunder flush washers are of a larger diameter (wider) and are quite pliable in their composition.  It’s a pity that there is not a more comprehensive list of washers that may fit certain cistern systems. Caroma InternalCaroma InternalCaroma CisternCaroma Cistern

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Peejay,

Just to let you know that a wide variety of washers are available directly from Caroma to suit their toilet suites. So if there is a specific washer you need, we can look it up in their technical manuals and place a Special Order for you. They still keep a variety of washers to suit their older systems, so it's worth us checking.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects