Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much floor leveller do I need before tiling?

bernardh
Getting Established

How much floor leveller do I need before tiling?

I have a small room where there is bare concrete. I wish to lay vinyl tiles but first need to create an even surface.

I want to use something like LANKO floor leveller. Can anyone advise:

Approximately how much area will 20kg LANKO floor leveller cover? I have an area of something like 5sq mtrs, so need to know how many bags to buy.
Do I need a primer with this product? If so, which one to buy?
A question for Bunnings: When will you get this product back in the Eltham store?

Any other advice about using this or similar product welcomed.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How much floor leveller do I need before tiling?

Hello @bernardh

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about floor levelling.

The Lanko 20kg 173 Floor Leveller will cover an area of 12 square meters with a thickness ranging from 1mm to 25mm. It can be used for interior or exterior use. It can be used to repair small cracks and can be used over concrete sub-floors, prior to the application of floor coverings. If the Lanko product is not available, you can also use the Dunlop 20kg Ardit Floor Leveller or Dunlop 15kg Multi-Purpose Floor Leveller. They are also rated to cover 12 square meters.

The floor levelling coverage will depend on how much it has to level off. For example, if it has to make up a level of 3mm in the overall area, the floor leveller will only be able to conservatively cover 4 square meters. If the slope is not so great one bag should be sufficient to cover your 5 square meters. If you have a bare concrete floor and it's polished you'll need to use Dunlop 1L Primer And Additive after giving your floor a thorough wash and clean. If you're using Lanko you'll need to use Lanko Ultrabond, this product will have to be ordered at the special orders desk. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to post them.

It sounds like a fantastic flooring project, any updates you can provide while upgrading your floor would be much appreciated.

Here is the link to the Lanko Surface Preparation: Lanko 173 Floor Leveller Data Sheet.

Here is the link to the Dunlop Surface Preparation: Dunlop Leveller Data Sheet.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bernardh
Getting Established

IMG_0469.JPG

Thanks Eric for your response. The floor is reasonably even and clean, but rough and patchy. So I'm assuming a primer will be required to seal prior to levelling. Here's a picture which is typical of the whole surface.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bernardh

Thank you so much for the update. That floor looks like the perfect candidate for floor levelling. I suggest giving it a thorough wash with soap and water to remove grease, dust, and debris before applying any primer. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we would be keen to see the floor once you've applied the leveller.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @bernardh

Can you please post a picture of the entire floor area?

That would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Mike T.

bernardh
Getting Established

Hi Mike

I will, but the room will have to be cleared for this. I'm not ready to act just yet. 

bernardh
Getting Established

The floor is slightly more than 2 square metres, with a couple of extra bits as can be seen in the attachment.

The centre area in the image is rough concrete, fairly level, about 10mm lower than the surrounding slate. . The intention is to bring it up nearly the level of the slate, then use slate coloured, stick on floor tiles, which I have seen at Bunnings.

I'm not sure how much leveller I will require, so advice on this will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

BernardIMG_0478.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bernardh,

One 20kg bag of Lanko 20kg 173 Floor Leveller will cover approximately 12m2 at 1mm thickness. So, if we say your floor is 2.2m2 and divide 12 by 2.2, we get 5.45. That means that one bag of leveller will fill you 2.2m2 area to a thickness of 5.45mm. Because you need to raise the level slightly less than 10mm, you'll need slightly less than two 20kg bags.

Remember to check the level of your floor before you start pouring because this product will find level, regardless of whether your slate is or not.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell

Do you know if there is any change of Eltham Bunnings getting this product in?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@bernardh,

Bunnings Eltham has recently undergone a refit and are yet to re-stock this item. The closest store to you with it available is Bunnings Mill Park. If you are unable to travel to Bunnings Mill Park, I'd be happy to speak with the team at Bunnings Eltham to see if someone was able to pick a couple of bags up for you.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects