Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to Install an Estilo shower screen?

Loon
Finding My Feet

How to Install an Estilo shower screen?

I bought the Estilo shower screen 1830X830-900 to replace a shower door that shattered a month ago.Its height and variable width are ideal to replace the door that I shattered.

I have not been able to identify the make of the existing shower and most suppliers say they do not replace only doors.

The attached photos show the type of shower we have and people may recognise the make.

One of the upright shower supports can be attached easily to the tiled wall . The opposite wall however consists of 40cm high of tiles surrounding the bath and a glass bath screen wall that sits on top of the bath and this bath screen is 136cm high and 1cm thick.

My thinking is to drill additional holes in the 40cm tiled area for additional support and to attach the rest of the support to the glass screen using Loctite Glass glue. The attached photos illustrate the issue.

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

Will this work?

Any better suggestions?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing Estilo shower screen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Loon. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a new shower door.

Were you intending to remove the remaining door side panel and bottom rail and replacing the whole side with the Estilo 900 x 1830mm Chrome Adjustable Framed Shower Screen? Typically this unit would be fixed between two walls, or the Estilo 900 x 1830mm Chrome Semi Frameless Shower Screen would be used in a corner. 

You've obviously identified that the connection between the new shower screen frame and the existing glass will be the weak point. Since the new shower screen uses a frame, you'd need to connect it to the glass, so using Loctite glass glue might not be the best choice as it will be metal to glass. My concern is that the shower screen is designed to have a rigid connection to a wall, or a solid metal corner piece is used for a return. The shower screen is not designed to meet a glass panel.

Since this is a non-standard installation, it's difficult to advise what will work. However, if you were going ahead with the glue idea, I'd recommend you look at Sika 290ml Crystal Clear Sikaflex®-112 Adhesive Sealant and consider then glueing an aluminium angle over the exterior of the already glued joint to re-enforcement it.

Let me mention a couple of our knowledgeable members @TedBear and @Jewelleryrescue to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Install an Estilo shower screen?

Hi again, @Loon.

I wanted to add a safety message on working with glass panels, especially in non-standard configurations. Following the manufacturer's installation guidelines is important when installing glass panels. Deviating from those could cause unforeseen issues and damage to the product. When working with the panels, it's important to remember that they can crack quite easily when tapped or placed on a hard surface. Remember your PPE, including safety glasses, gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and pants and enclosed footwear.

Mitchell

Thanks for the advice Mitchell. Did not reply immediately as I was also looking at the option of a replacement door for the shower. I was quoted a price in the high $600s Plus GST so ruled that out.

Yes, my intention is to remove the remaining side door panel and so attach one Estilo shower screen upright to the tiled shower wall and the other to the glass bath screen which is 100mm thick- as mentioned before. I'm grateful for your advice about the adhesive sealant and will use that.

If I may, some questions about this.

Should I also use this sealant on the base on the shower screen to provide additional support?

The part that I seal metal to glass will be 136cm long so is there an aluminium angle that will be suitable ?

Once again thanks for your advice - and I appreciate your caution and I accept the risks in undertaking this non standard installation myself.

Loon (this is the Aberdeen Scotland word for a lad/man and nothing to do with birds or insanity)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You certainly can use the sealant under the bottom rail @Loon. Regardless of the additional support, you'll need to seal under there to stop water from creeping out.

For the 136cm length, you'd need to get a 300cm length and cut it down to size with a hacksaw. Unfortunately, it goes from 100cm to 300cm.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects