Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add hot water cap for laundry sink?

pmmalg
Just Starting Out

How to add hot water cap for laundry sink?

Hi there.  Recently bought a house and the laundry sink has individual (valves?) for hot and cold water.  As my front loading washing machine only takes a cold water line, the hot water valve for the tap needs to be capped - and right now there's no hot water coming out the sink because there's no cap.

Question: What type of cap can I use/purchase from Bunnings to install under the sink as per the pic below?laundry.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add hot water cap for laundry sink?

Hello @pmmalg 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about capping your hot water tap.

Congratulations on purchasing your new house! I suggest using a Brasshards 20mm Brass Threaded Cap in combination with FIX-A-TAP 12mm x 8m Thread Seal Tape. I recommend wrapping 4 rounds of thread seal tape around the threaded end then screwing the brass cap tightly. I also suggest using a Craftright 4 Piece Adjustable Wrench Set to tighten the cap.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wmarches
Just Starting Out

Hi there, this is a reply to an old message. I happen to have the same problem, and have tried the solution above, I tried a good recommended amount of tape and it looks fine in the photo, but unfortunately from the same side it still leaks 😣 did you have any handy soluations to what I could do to help? 😊 Thanks20240117_173026.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @wmarches 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

If you are still getting a leak, I suggest putting in a Kinetic 12mm and 19mm Nut and Tail Washers - 8 Pack inside the brass cap. You'll want to put in the 19mm flat washer. This is the only washer that will fit so don't worry if you have to get the packet. It's the same size used by washing machine hoses so it will fit just fine. 

The rubber washer will get sandwiched between the brass cap and the bottom of the tap which will stop the leak.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects