Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add shutting off valve to the sink water pipes?

atul221282
Growing in Experience

How to add shutting off valve to the sink water pipes?

Hello freinds,

I just noticed the water leaking from my sink faucet inside the sink cabinet. I have found the leak and thought of fixing it and I am slow person therefore required to shut off the water supply for longer period like few hours or half of a day. Therefore I am planning to do the following two things and after two advice:

1. Which shut of ball valve can I use to cut off the water supply before I start fixing or changing the faucet? Image is attached for the reference.

2. What is the best way to remove the faucet and which sink faucet should I buy from bunnigs? I am after the facuet which doesn't use rubber washels at all. I have attached the image for a reference.

Any help is much appreciated?

faucet_leak.jpghose_details.jpgrequire_ball_valve.jpgsink_faucet.jpg

Regards,

Atul Chaudhary

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need to add shutting of valve to the sink water pipes

Hi @atul221282,

It doesn't appear that you have any isolation valve installed to simply turn off the water to this sink. Unfortunately, you'd need to turn off the mains to the property. Please be advised that this is considered plumbing work, and a licensed plumber is required to undertake it.

I don't actually believe any of the plumbing work is at fault; it appears to be the sink spout that needs replacing. You can see the water dribbling over the threads on the bottom of the spout, which indicates the leak is above that point. The only point above would be a rubber O ring on a joint that connects the spout to its base. If you check the side of the spout's base, you might find a tiny little hole and inside that hole lives a grubscrew. By undoing the grubscrew with an Allen key, you should be able to pull the spout off. On the end of the spout will be a couple of rubber O rings that need replacing. Alternatively, you might like to replace the entire spout or install a whole new basin set. To replace the spout, you don't need to turn the main's water off as the taps themselves are isolating the spout.

To remove the spout, you'll need to undo the large black nut on the underside of the bench. You'll find many spouts utilise a rubber O ring; even the spout itself is attached to the plumbing work underneath with them. The spout in this kit appears not to have a rubber O ring, but you might like to have a helpful team member in-store double-check for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Need to add shutting of valve to the sink water pipes

Thanks for the prompt reply MitchellMc,

Where do I find the grubscrew? Is it located under the sink or on top of sink? I cannot find the grubscrew at the top of the sink (bottom of spout). 

Thanks for providing the kit link I will try to find the O ring from the shop.

Regards

Atul Chaudhary

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need to add shutting off valve to the sink water pipes

If there is a grub screw, it would be located somewhere in the vicinity I've marked below @atul221282. I could be anywhere around the area, even on the rear.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell,

I have attached two more pics for your reference I really cannot find the grubscrew spot. Maybe you can check and verify thanks

Regards,

Atulback.jpgfront.jpg

I can't see any myself @atul221282. I'd suggest the easiest option would be to replace the whole spout.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell, appreciate your suggestion. I have managed to find the current installation design which I am attaching to this message. Please have a look and tell me how can i change the spout only. With the image help i can tell you that plastic back nut and washer is leaking but not sure how to change spout from this T  shape installation 

20230702_154942.jpg

Hi @atul221282,

A plumber would likely undo the black nut, which is what holds the spout onto the sink. Once the nut is undone, they would pull the spout straight up and off the T-piece. Installation is the reverse. They'd push the spout back onto the T-piece and then do up the nut.

You have the T-piece already in position, so there is no need for the plumber to touch or change it.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc appreciate your advice. You are always very helpful and I am glad I found this amazing community forum where I can reach out to resolve things like this.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects