Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to adjust alignment of bathroom shower door?

bennyboy
Cultivating a Following

How to adjust alignment of bathroom shower door?

Hi team, I did search to see if i could find a similar thread previously answered, but skimming through the results couldn't find the right one. 

We have semi-frameless shower screens in the bathrooms, and we've now noticed the screen door has sagged off its hinges, which results in the door scraping the bottom when trying to close it. One can be closed by slightly lifting the door, whereas the other is way out of alignment. 

Please could someone guide me on where and how I can adjust the alignment on these? I didn't want to undo anything to try and figure it out and end up with a bigger issue of not having a door in place. 

Couple of pics to help.

Alignment hingeAlignment hinge

Door scrapes the bottomDoor scrapes the bottom

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to adjust alignment of bathroom shower door?

Hi @bennyboy

Thanks for sharing your question about how to adjust your shower door. This particular issue often happens with semi-frameless doors because it has no frame to support them and they tend to slide from the hinge clip. These types of doors are actually held in place with a rubber liner and two large screws inside the hinge assembly itself. I've placed some instructions below on how you can possibly get access to it. 

Once you have access to the screws you just need to loosen them up so that you can put the door back to its original position. Once it's back in its original position you can re-tighten the screws firmly but not overly tight. The glass is usually made of safety glass and excessive pressure on the surface will shatter the glass, so please be careful.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bennyboy
Cultivating a Following

@EricL thanks for your tip. 
I only got around to trying this today. 

Removing the plastic cover reveals a screw which is to control the alignment of the door on a channel. It does not allow for the glass to be released in this design, it looks like. 

FF3BD3DE-EE47-44D9-A7A5-88B1F7FB11EB.jpeg

I tried with adjusting this to either end, and while it resolved the issue of the door scraping the bottom, the top part of the door still scrapes the top and wont close. I can see the part from where it looks like the glass has seemingly moved from its original position, so not sure if these adjustments will help in this case. 

66088638-CD56-42E6-B44B-53F27379DFF7.jpeg

Any other suggestions for me to try?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bennyboy

Thank you very much for the photo update. Since you've managed to adjust the top part there is a good chance that the bottom hinge could possibly have its own adjustment set. I suggest looking if there is a clip at the bottom you can remove and perhaps there is an adjustment screw as well.

Another thing you can try is to try to turn the screw in the other direction and see if the adjustment pad lifts up to release the glass. However, if it just moves it in the other direction then just return it to its adjusted position.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric    

bennyboy
Cultivating a Following

@EricL I had tried the adjustments on the lower hinge too, with no luck.
Looking top-down onto the door, this looks to be the issue. The glass is held by the clamp using glue perhaps, which has given way causing the misalignment. Looks like no adjustment of the screw will resolve this. ☹️

D055D383-3B4E-4F0A-9D36-943ED05B9D79.jpeg

You can see the glue remnants on the right of the clamp. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bennyboy

The only other option that comes to mind is to find out the make and model of your shower assembly and try to track down the manufacturer. They might have spare shower door hinges you can purchase and just replace the ones you have.     

If you have any other questions we can help with please let us know.

Eric

CamS88
Just Starting Out

Does anybody know the manufacturer of this hardware. I have the exact same and the bottom pin has snapped and looking for a replacement.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @CamS88 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the model of the shower.

Let me tag @bennyboy to make them aware of your question. I'm sorry, but I'm unfamiliar with this particular shower brand. If it becomes too hard to find a replacement hinge, I suggest having a look at the Estilo 900 x 1830mm Chrome Semi Frameless Shower Screen as a possible replacement for your current set.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects