Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a bathroom vanity with an in-built washing machine?

Paige
Finding My Feet

How to build a bathroom vanity with an in-built washing machine?

I am a first home buyer of a small 2 bed unit that currently has no laundry.

I would like to incorporate my washing machine into a new bathroom vanity with sink ontop. 

I'm wondering plumbing wise would the be enough room underneath for waste pipe and taps to be connected to the front loading washing machine? 

Also is a vanity able to be made out of the practa worktop bench? I like the speckled white one but can see it's only 28mm thick so may not hold a basin on its own? And because it's only 600mm wide, gluing two together may also weaken its strength?

Wanting cheap options on what to create the vanity with as am on strict budget.

Screenshot_20230608_203823_Pinterest.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a bathroom vanity with an in-built washing machine?

Hello @Paige 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building an in-built washing machine.

If you have the tools and a bit of D.I.Y cabinet building knowledge, you should be able to construct this cabinet for your washing machine. I suggest using 70 x 35mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine 2.4m as the main base. I recommend using 2400 x 1200mm 16mm Melamine Particleboard White Matt for the cabinet body.

When constructing your cabinet, it's important to provide enough space for the hoses of the washing machine and enough space for the sinks plumbing. It will be necessary to use a low-profile waste and a narrow turn elbow so that the cabinet itself will not be so tall. If the floor waste is in an ideal spot, then there will be no need to reposition it. But if it is in the middle of the washing machine, concrete cutting will be necessary to move the waste into a better spot.

Keep in mind that you must provide enough space for the cabinet doors to close without hitting the washing machine door. I propose speaking to a registered plumber and showing them your plans before beginning construction.

I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how to build the frame. Please have a look and tell me what you think. Please note that the measurements are for reference only, please adjust them to your washing machines size.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Paige
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

Wow what a wealth of knowledge that you so much for this and such a prompt reply. Really appreciate it as this gives me alot more insight into what is involved.

Can I ask does it have to have a base? Can I put the washing machine on the tiles and build the vanity around it?

And also as for the product I put on top, which material do you suggest that will look asthetically pleasing? As I know all pre made Benches won't be wide enough for this and if gluing them together is a possibility?

Many thanks in advance, wishing you a wonderful day 😄

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Paige 

Yes, you can build the cabinet without the base, but I suggest fixing the side panels to the floor using Hafele 23 x 23mm Angle Bracket. You can also use this bracket to fix the benchtop to the side panels. I propose using STAHL Masonry Kit 8mm Drill With 50mm Blue Wall Plugs if you have a concrete floor.  

In regards to the benchtop, I suggest looking at Timber Panels which come in various lengths and sizes. They can be easily cut and joined together to make even larger panels if necessary. The best part is that you can stain or seal it in various colours.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your washing machine cabinet.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Paige
Finding My Feet

I love you Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects