Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a privacy screen indoors?

Julissa
Just Starting Out

How to build a privacy screen indoors?

Hi! I work in an early childhood service and we are looking for a new way to ensure privacy for the children in the bathrooms whilst still meeting supervision regulations. 

Currently, my co-workers and I have been looking into using a screen panel in between the individual toilets to give it a 'cubical' look/feel. https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-1200-x-800mm-frangipani-screen-panel_p0131468

We were just unsure how to go about this in terms of securing it. 

Based on what we have been able to come up with, it seems like our best bet would be to use the screen up base plate, and the screen up joiner post - with the base plate secured to the floor (we are unsure of how to do this as it is a tiled floor). 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-screen-up-base-plate_p1100968?store=7377&gclid=CjwKCAjwi8iXBhBeEi...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-1970mm-screen-up-joiner-post_p1100965

Is there a way we can make this work, or are there any better ways to create a divider for privacy in between the toilets?

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build a privacy screen indoors?

Hi @Julissa,

First, let me welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is wonderful you have decided to join and ask your question about screening for your childcare bathrooms. Our resident guru @EricL will be online later today but let me tag @diy_hausdesigns and @Adam_W as they have experience with screening. 

If you ever have questions about the community please reach out. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a privacy screen indoors?

Hello @Julissa

Thanks for sharing your question about building privacy screens for the bathroom. The Matrix 1200 x 800mm Frangipani Screen Panel is the perfect screen to use as a divider. However, I suggest using Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Moulding Pine DAR Clear as framing for the screen panel. It is more cost-effective and is easier to mount onto and attach to the bathroom wall. 

I've placed a sample image below of how it can be built. The timber pieces can be painted black so that it matches the screen panels. The challenging part of the assembly is the mounting onto the tiles. I suggest using angle brackets for mounting to the wall and keeping the feet from moving around. 

I recommend using STAHL Masonry Kit 8mm Drill With 50mm Blue Wall Plugs in combination with QEP 8mm Diamond Tile Drill Bit. This will allow you to fix the foot of the divider to the floor.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects