Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to caulk bathroom basin?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

How to caulk bathroom basin?

Hi everyone!

I removed the mouldy very tough seal from the rear of the bathroom basin with the help of Monarch silicone  remover and a Stanley FatMax utility knife.  

Then cleaned up with Methylated Spirits (great on cleaning, tough on hands!).

I've got Selley's Wet Area silicone sealant to do the job.

I now have is a gap that's about 8mm deep and a range of 5 - 6mm in height that needs to be filled.  The problem is when I tried it for size, the nozzle of the caulk sealer is too fat to reach into the gap!  Do I wedge some polyfiller in through to the rear and then caulk over the top of that when it's dry?  

Any suggestions from the 

Community Brains Trust? 

Cheers 🤗

20231111_122553.jpg

20231111_124612.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tips needed for caulking job

Hi @Tyro,

The tip of the nozzle does not need to fit inside the gap; in fact, you don't need to fill the entire cavity behind the opening. Simply place the nozzle against the gap and extrude the silicone as you move along it. Keeping the nozzle hard against the gap will pump the silicone partially inside it. After you've finished filling the gap, smooth the silicone off to form a cove between the tile and the sink back. It's this cove you're trying to establish and seal the gap. Filling the void is of lesser concern. Here's a helpful guide: How to apply silicone sealant

If you wish, you could insert Moroday 6mm x 5m White Gap Filler Rod to fill the void.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you BrightStar @MitchellMc 

Once again your clear- headed advice has lifted an impending headache!  On tomorrow's trip to Bunnings I shall buy a plant in honour of your sagicity! 

Humble Cheers! 🙏🏻🤗

DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Caulking is a skill I am still perfecting but have found I get the best results if I wait a few minutes after laying down a bead of sealant and then use a soapy finger as a forming tool (make sure you keep redipping in the cup of soapy water) 😊

BTW I don't have any issue with Methylated Spiriits but I do notice a definite burn if exposed to switch contact cleaner...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects