Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change a tube light?

ce
Finding My Feet

How to change a tube light?

IMG_8459.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to change a tube light?

Afternoon @ce 

If you look at the ends of the light just check for some small screws. I am pretty sure that this light fitting has catches to secure the end pieces over the light tiny catches that "clip" when in place.

I would gently "jiggle" one end and see if you can walk it off the end of the light. I wouldnt force it as when plastic ages it can become brittle. 

I was just having a google to see if I can find a picture of how to remove the end caps. (Couldnt find one that matched close enough) See if you have screws on the underside or ends but prob you wont then do the wiggle part to get the end caps off. Wiggle the left cap horizontaly with pressure to the left. and you should feel it move.

Once the end caps are off then you con rotate teh tube out of the sockets at either end. 

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ce. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about changing a tube light.

I'd suggest that @Dave-1 is on the money with their method. Typically the ends are just press fit with a retaining lug, or there might be screws fixing the ends in place. As mentioned, I would gently try to pry the end cap away and slide them out to the left and right.

Please let me know if you have any questions and let us know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ce
Finding My Feet

IMG_8464.jpeg

IMG_8463.jpeg

  

IMG_8462.jpeg

IMG_8461.jpeg

   

Thank you Dave. No screws tried to jiggle it, but it won’t budge 

ce 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ce,

Try gripping the right or left side cover and pulling in directly straight off. I have a similar light and just checked mine, and that is how they're attached; the covers just push on and pull off.

If you can take some close-up shots of the cover so we can see the seam lines it could help indicate the best approach to removal.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@MitchellMc and @ce 

:smile: Why can I see so many of the workshop members going home and seeing if they can get the ends off their lights! :smile: Someone hopefully will be able to :smile:

Dave

ce
Finding My Feet

Hello

To everybody who sent me a message thank you.   I know now how to remove the neon light.   The two white ends pull forward. Never thought of that at all.    Thanks again Ce
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ce 

It's good to hear that you've figured out how to replace your tube light. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects