Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change bath tap washer?

redsta
Finding My Feet

How to change bath tap washer?

Hello I’m trying to undo this with a spanner but it won’t grip or even turn it what do I need to do

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to change bath tap washer?

Hi @redsta,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. It's great to have you join the community.

I suspect you need a tap spanner. There are a couple of different sizes, so a good option is the Magnet Multi Fit Tap Spanner Set.

Let me also tag @EricL in case he can add to the discussion.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @redsta 

I totally agree with the suggestions made. Please remember to turn anti-clockwise when using any of the tap spanner set. If you need more leverage to turn the tool, it is possible to use your shifter/spanner to turn the tool set.

However, if the spindle has binded to the body of the tap, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber. They will have specialized tools that will allow them to remove the spindle even in such tight conditions.    

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, and goggles when working on your repairs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Hello @redsta personally I've had the best results with the Irwin tap spanner set which features an additional through hole cheater bar for increased leverage, I guess it depends on how often you think the tool will be used as to what you would consider an acceptable price. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/irwin-plumber-s-tap-spanner-set-6-piece_p0097877

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects