Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change bathroom taps from spindle/washer tapwear to ceramic?

TracyJane
Just Starting Out

How to change bathroom taps from spindle/washer tapwear to ceramic?

B3E48BB9-EEE5-4EFB-8F25-86206A9836CD.png

Hi all after some advice .. I have just bought all new fittings for my new bathroom and they are different. Rather than waste $300+ can you pls tell me if there is a conversion kit that will allow me to use the new fittings without having to either change all the plumbing or buy new taps? Thanks heaps for your help. 

the first I s the new one.. 2nd is currently what I have. 

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to change bathroom taps from spindle/washer tapwear to ceramic?

Hello @TracyJane

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing ceramic spindles.

In order for you to find out if the spindles you purchased will work, I suggest doing a test fit. Looking at the picture you shared, I recommend removing the top black part known as the spindle lock. Once you have it off, you'll be left with the spindle body, I suggest screwing it into the tap body by hand until the bottom of the spindle hits the bottom of the tap body.

Look closely at the spindle body are there any threads left above the tap body? If the whole thing has gone inside the body, the spindle is not compatible with the tap body and will not work. You'll need to use traditional spindles to make it work. However, if there are threads left over that means that you can attach the spindle lock and your tapware will work.

I've placed a picture below to identify the parts to give you an idea of what you need to look out for.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TracyJane
Just Starting Out

Thanks heaps I didn’t realise that black bit came off. Got it to fit. 🎉

Great, many thanks for letting us know @TracyJane.

Feel free to post whenever you need a hand with a project around the house or garden. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects