Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change walk-in wardrobe to accessible shower & toilet?

Mortma
Just Starting Out

How to change walk-in wardrobe to accessible shower & toilet?

Currently the main and only bathroom has a tub with overhead shower. My husband can no longer step over the bath without danger of a fall. From his bedroom, there is a walk-in wardrobe which could easily accommodate a shower, toilet & hand basin. Currently, this room has one open doorway, a sliding door into the office and stained glass windows on the exterior wall of the house.

At this stage, I think I would prefer to keep the bath tub in the main bathroom and create a new ensuite for his use. The alternative is of course, to remove the bath tub, remove screen, re-waterproof where the bath was, re-tile. Cost wise not much less expensive than a new small ensuite that he can access easily right next to his bed.

The new room is towards the front of the house with no plumbing. The main bathroom is at the back of the house with pipes coming from the front to the back. Shouldn’t be too hard for a plumber to connect I would think.

In my extended family, I have a tiler, plasterer and electrician, NO PLUMBER. I can do the painting and prettying up.

was thinking perhaps of a shower module with an opening wide enough for a wheelchair

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to change walk-in wardrobe to accessible shower & toilet?

Hello @Mortma

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your proposed shower installation.

Designing an accessible bathroom is totally different to designing a regular one. The entranceway must be bigger and the interior of the room must be wide enough to accommodate not only the wheelchair but the carer as well. Hand holds must be within easy reach and there must be sitting provisions for the person using the shower.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area where you are proposing to install the new shower area? Please include the measurements of the area as well. I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to plan a bathroom renovation by @Adam_W. I'm sure you'll be able to pick up some handy tips in the guide.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the photos of the area for the new bathroom.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects