Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean bathroom and kitchen mould on silicon grout?

penpan8988
Growing in Experience

How to clean bathroom and kitchen mould on silicon grout?

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone can kindly recommend me a product to remove/kill mould on my kitchen and bathroom Silicone and also grout. 

I've tried the selleys spray. Also, if you can kindly recommend a product that won't smell to harsh as I have a young toddler.

20230312_213419.jpg

20230312_214101.jpg

Thanks so much for the help x 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean bathroom and kitchen mould on silicon grout?

Hi @penpan8988,

If you've tried cleaning this previously, the mould has likely stained the white silicon. If this is the case, no amount of scrubbing or products will remove it from the surface. Removing the silicone and replacing it with fresh caulking would be the best course of action. 

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide on How to apply bathroom sealant.

If you're not keen on replacing the sealant, I've had good luck with 30 Seconds 1L Shower Cleaner, so it would be worth trying before replacing the silicone. It might not remove the marks entirely, by it should make them less noticeable. It's best to open any windows in the bathroom whilst using it or run the exhaust fan. It doesn't smell particularly harsh, but it's best to ventilate the room whilst using it. Remember your PPE, including a face mask, gloves, safety glasses, enclosed footwear and a long-sleeved shirt and pants.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MrSober
Building a Reputation

@penpan8988 

I have had success with using vinegar to kill and stop the growth of the mould and then using something like bleach to remove the staining in some cases.

The way I found to keep the liquid on the silicon is to using toilet paper or the like, spray it then push it up against the silicon to make it stay there and lesson it drying out so you can leave it there for a few hours. Never mix the two together though as it creates chlorine gas, wash well with water in between each chemical.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. 

May I ask a facemask such as a n95 should be sufficient? Or is there a better mask I can grab at bunnings?

penpan8988
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it, will take this into consideration 👌

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @penpan8988 

The N95 mask will be adequate for the task. Please make sure to open all the windows and doors in the room to promote air circulation. If you have an exhaust fan, I suggest turning it on while using the product.

Eric

Wish me luck, all from bunnings

20230316_094219.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Good luck @penpan8988!

Let us know how you go, we would love to see a photo of the results. 

Katie

penpan8988
Growing in Experience

Hi Katie, 

As an update, it didnt work :unhappy: Guess I will have to remove the grout/silicone. 

Hi Michell, 

Hope you are well, 

Unfortunately the products didnt work :unhappy:

So now i'm looking at removing the grout and silicone. I was wondering, would you recommend Epoxy Grout? 

I'm looking for a mould resistant product for my bathroom and kitchen sink.

Thanks so much! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects