Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean bathroom and kitchen mould on silicon grout?

penpan8988
Growing in Experience

How to clean bathroom and kitchen mould on silicon grout?

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone can kindly recommend me a product to remove/kill mould on my kitchen and bathroom Silicone and also grout. 

I've tried the selleys spray. Also, if you can kindly recommend a product that won't smell to harsh as I have a young toddler.

20230312_213419.jpg

20230312_214101.jpg

Thanks so much for the help x 

Re: How to clean bathroom and kitchen mould on silicon grout?

Epoxy grouts work for non-flexible areas @penpan8988. Typically they are not the best for areas with potential movement like joins between the wall and floor, as they can crack. Wet-area mould-resistant silicones are much better for those areas. They are flexible and contain a fungicidal protector for excellent mould and fungal resistance. 

Most grouts are resistant to mould, but if you want to protect a normal grout from mould further, it's best to coat it with grout sealer, which inhibits stains and mould from entering the porous cement-based grout.

Just a final note before you remove any grout. The spray you've used has effectively killed the mould; now, it's just a stain in the cement-based grout. I get this all the time and am not going to remove the grout to resolve it. I use grout paint to cover these stains and do the whole bathroom every couple of years to restore the brightness of the grout. My favourite product is Dunlop 250ml Grout Paint - Ultrawhite, as it has a fantastic applicator tip and works a treat. Simply squeeze the bottle and apply it over the grout lines. No need to be neat; you can just get it on the tiles as well. After 20min, you can take a mild scrubbing sponge and remove the excess off the tiles. These grout paint pens are great for small touch-ups, but I've found that their nibs get a bit torn up by the rough grout if you're trying to do a whole bathroom.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MichellMc,

Thanks for saving me, i didnt know epoxy isnt suitable for areas that move.  I guess all the areas that have been silicone have been done for a reason.

I probably dont want to DIY this as I'm not exactly the most handiest person out there. May I ask if you know who I can hire for this job (tiler?)? I will endeavor to make sure they use Wet-area mould-resistant silicones. 

Though before they remove the silicone, would it be beneficial for me to try wiping down the area again with something to kill the mould? Any advice would be much appreciated.

As for the grout in my bathroom and kitchen which needs a deep clean (no mould as far as I can see), what product would you recommend just for a clean? Once I clean it I will buy the Dunlop grout sealer and seal my bathroom floors and kitchen tiles grout. 

Thanks again! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @penpan8988 

If you are not keen on doing the silicone sealing, I suggest engaging the services of a handyperson or perhaps posting the job on Airtasker or Hipages. 

If you wish to clean the area before the silicone is removed, I recommend using Selleys 750g White For Life Tile And Grout Cleaner

However, if you are curious to see how the silicone will be replaced, here is a link to a step-by-step guide:  How to silicone seal a bath. (the technique used is applicable to your situation)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects