Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean calcium off shower glass?

joejoe
Growing in Experience

How to clean calcium off shower glass?

You name it I've tried it - vinegar, bicarb soda, bleach, BAM, CLR. Nothing is getting rid of the white calcium build up on shower glass. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Clean shower glass

Hi @joejoe,

Could you share a picture with us? Are you sure the calcium buildup is on the glass and not within the two laminate panels? Shower screens sometimes have two layers of glass with a plastic sheet in-between. This is to hold the sheets together when they shatter. Quite often, water and minerals work their way up between the panes of glass and are impossible to get to. Alternatively, if it is outside and your cleaning methods have failed, the calcium buildup is likely etched into the glass's surface.

You could try taking a bladed scraper and seeing if the buildup is proud of the glass surface. If so, the scraper will remove it. Please make sure not to dig the blade's corners into the glass, or they could damage it.

I'd be keen to find out if this calcium is on or between the glass. It can be quite hard to tell, but it would explain why you're having trouble removing it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
joejoe
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, here is the best photo I can take. What you said could be the reason and nothing seems to be working. 

20220305_093126.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I assume that's in the mid-screen @joejoe? This penetration of the laminated panels is generally found close to the floor, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were some build-up further into the middle of the pane. 

If you look at the clouding from either side of the glass panel, does it look like it's in the same position? If it is indeed on the surface, by looking at it from outside of the shower, you should be able to tell that there is the glass's thickness, and then it's on the other side. If it looks the same from both sides, it could indicate that it's right in the middle, between the two panes.

Mitchell

joejoe
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, yes this is mid/ upper of the shower screen. If it was calcium build up on the outside would it not feel slightly rough? As the glass has no texture, and yes thr clouding is the same from inside/outside  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I believe a calcium build-up would feel somewhat rough @joejoe. To me, the discolouration most closely resembles that of soap scum, but if it were on the surface, you would be able to remove it quite easily. Alternatively, it could be a fine white mould growing between the panels.

Mitchell

joejoe
Growing in Experience

Thank you Mitchell, once again so very helpful, much appreciated. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects