Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean tiles for bathroom makeover?

Kvic
Having an Impact

How to clean tiles for bathroom makeover?

I have had a building inspection done and the comment for the bathroom is that there are signs of water leaking but the water proofing is ok.

The bathroom was resealed around 5 years ago but there are gaps showing in the corner of the walls and I have decided to scrub the ceiling corners and tiles as well but on closer inspection the silicon looks like has crumbled and turning yellow as the cause of the scum.

I need to clean the tiles, maybe with a blade and remove the crumbled silicon before resealing but I am not sure how and the best practice.

The chrome items are showing surface rust, the door frame swollen from the silicone failing so I will remove all chrome and take them to get re-chromed take the door frames off and replace. I suspect I can get door trim replacements at Bunnings, paint and reseal. 

The tiles on the walk or floor area seem dull but in good condition with the grout greying and would like some suggestions to rejuvenate, thank you. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom make over

Hi @Kvic,

Some images of the different areas and issues would really help out members better understand what is going on and allow them to make useful suggestions.

It sounds like you'll be removing and replacing a fair bit of silicone. I'd suggest using a silicone remover will assist greatly with the removal process, and a chemical silicone remover can be used on stubborn areas. Only use the chemical product if you are unsuccessful with the tool, as it dissolves the silicone, which can make a bit of a mess. Much better to remove it mechanically first.

Once the silicone is removed, clean up the joints to ensure any residue is removed. Then, use a quality wet-area silicone like Selley's Wet Area Waterproof Sealant

Here are some helpful step-by-step guides:

If you want to rejuvenate grout, I highly recommend grout paint. I use it every few years on my grout, and it works wonderfully well at covering discoloured grout that is just impossible to clean. Your grout and tiles can then be coated with Betta TileCare 1L Tile & Grout Sealer, which will improve the dull look and prevents the build-up of grime. It's also water-resistant, so it will help seal any hairline cracks that might have developed.

Did you get any specific details on the signs noted of water leaking? It would be a good idea to address those directly alongside your general maintenance of the silicone and tiles. It seems slightly odd that signs of water leaking were seen, yet the waterproofing is intact. This could be as simple as a leaking tap washer allowing water to bypass the membrane.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Silastic brown in colourSilastic brown in colour

Silastic on tiles and ceiling after scrubbing. maybe a blade on tile and a ceiling painting but first something to cover the silastic and then paint over?

SilasticSilastic

Top DoorTop Door

Maybe the reason the door has swollenIMG20230122152311.jpg

Rusty ChromeRusty Chrome

Don't think I will find this shelf new or something that will fit existing holes so to the chrome shop

Water from shower screenWater from shower screen

Water travels from under shower frame from silastic failing.

Bathroom wall separationBathroom wall separation 

The cause of shower leaking in report to be sealed and painted

Other cornerOther corner

Grout conditionGrout conditionFloor tile conditionFloor tile condition

Needs rejuvenation on walk surface

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for those pictures, @Kvic.

It looks like a lot of little jobs are to be done. Most of my advice above should cover those issues.

Obviously, you have some water damage at floor level, and you'll need to get the shower sealed adequately, but what type of ventilation do you have in the bathroom? Is there an exhaust fan? A lot of these issues can be caused by poor ventilation, so if you don't have an exhaust fan, it would be worth installing one and running it while using the shower.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell, there is a fan and heating lights but we had a person who does not understand 60 minutes in the shower is too long and all the little issues were tested and the exhaust is a great idea if people turn it on.

The door frame cover that is swollen I believe come off and I can get a replacement at Bunnings? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can get replacement parts for your door frame at Bunnings, @Kvic. If you take the parts with you, the team will be able to match them up for you. Alternatively, you might be able to adjust the frame where the door is scrubbing on it. Sometimes giving the timber a sand in a few places will provide clearance and prevent the door from jamming on the frame.

Mitchell

So today I have started destroying the bottom bathroom.

Bottom DoorBottom DoorRemoved architraveRemoved architraveDoor frameDoor frame

Scary removing the door architrave and worried I may damage a tile so I was careful. The bottom of the door is rotten into the hall floor.

Can I replace these panels separately or do you need to replace the whole door frame?

Top architraveTop architrave

The architrave that runs along the hinges is not too bad and is sunk into the tiles. While I am sure I could get it removed without damage to the tiles I see no rot.

Looking at the old and yellowing shower screen seal, can I replace this also?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kvic,

The rotted timber that runs into the hall is the door jamb. You'll purchase these as sets, but you'll be able to install just that one vertical side. Pulling that side of the door jamb off the stud work might take some force. You'll need to pry it off with a wrecking bar. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to install a door jamb.

Is the yellowing shower seal an actual profile? Or is it just silicone that's been caulked into the corner?

Mitchell

Job No1. Nearly completed, just waiting on a shower corner shelf and another trip to Bunnings  for some silastic.

Bathroom DoorBathroom Door

Just needs to seal, clean and paint.

Selleys Rapid Mold KillerSelleys Rapid Mold Killer

 Mold and grout cleaned up well.

Wet and Dry with chrome PolishWet and Dry with chrome Polish

An hour of rubbing and cleaning the rack is nearly as good as new.

Ceiling and clean, seal and paintCeiling and clean, seal and paint

The Ceiling looks great.

Next, off to the main bathroom with skills I have learnt from the first. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects