Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean tiles for bathroom makeover?

Kvic
Having an Impact

How to clean tiles for bathroom makeover?

I have had a building inspection done and the comment for the bathroom is that there are signs of water leaking but the water proofing is ok.

The bathroom was resealed around 5 years ago but there are gaps showing in the corner of the walls and I have decided to scrub the ceiling corners and tiles as well but on closer inspection the silicon looks like has crumbled and turning yellow as the cause of the scum.

I need to clean the tiles, maybe with a blade and remove the crumbled silicon before resealing but I am not sure how and the best practice.

The chrome items are showing surface rust, the door frame swollen from the silicone failing so I will remove all chrome and take them to get re-chromed take the door frames off and replace. I suspect I can get door trim replacements at Bunnings, paint and reseal. 

The tiles on the walk or floor area seem dull but in good condition with the grout greying and would like some suggestions to rejuvenate, thank you. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Bathroom make over

Wow @Kvic,

You have done such an incredible job! You have really put in the time and elbow grease to clean up and repair your bathroom. What would you say was the most difficult part? 

I am looking forward to seeing how your main bathroom transforms. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kvic
Having an Impact

Prep is hard and time consuming.

Getting the old timber and fixtures off are easy but then to get the old silicon off, getting on your hands and knees to scrub and clean, polishing, climbing up and down the ladder and finally looking up to sand and paint the ceiling. 

Then I had to learn how to use masking tape in a straight line to apply the new sealer with the right pressure and new paint.

But while I have to make another trip to Bunnings for more supplies to finish a few more small areas and painting, it looks and feels great and I am looking forward to the main bathroom armed with the knowledge I have learn for a better outcome.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kvic 

You can do it! Just keep doing one job every day, your bathroom update is fantastic. You've already accomplished so much and I'm sure you've picked up some fantastic D.I.Y. skills along the way. My only other reminder is to make sure to paint the top of your bathroom door. This will prevent moisture from entering the unprotected timber.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your renovation project complete.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects