Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect washing machine to drain pipe?

rekeno
Just Starting Out

How to connect washing machine to drain pipe?

Hi,

Just moved home, and the new place has a very short standpipe for draining purposes. The diameter is about 20mm, too small for my washer's drain hose. Is there any connector or sort of funnel available to allow me to connect? Thanks you!

IMG_9925.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Drain pipe connector

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rekeno. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a drain pipe.

What size diameter is your drain hose on the machine? You'll need to adapt it to suit the size of the standpipe. Make sure that the standpipe is large enough that it complies with the machine's specifications. If the drain is too small, it can cause issues with drainage or the pump motor to burn out.

Adding a funnel might not be the best idea, as if there is any blockage of the standpipe, water will be pumped out over your floor. We do have the Kinetic 4.1m Grey PVC Washing Machine And Dishwasher Outlet Drain Expandable Hose, which you might be able to use to replace the current hose on the washer or extend it. It has ends that can be cut back to reveal several different-sized adaptors. There's also the BOSTON 1.2 - 4m Expandable Washing Machine And Dishwasher Outlet Drain Hose that you could try.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much for your help!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @rekeno and please reach out again if you continue to have difficulties.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects