Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to construct and mount a vanity?

jasejw
Growing in Experience

How to construct and mount a vanity?

Hi guys, just watched this video on Bunnings site. Firstly, is there an alternative way to strengthen the mitre joints without nails? I'm pretty sure furniture designers don't do this so the face is perfect. Secondly the attachment to the wall was skimmed over quickly. I don't think screws into studs would cut it, wouldn't you use strong metal brackets or rods? 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/home-improvement/cabinets-vanities-wardrobes/diy-bathroom-van...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: bathroom vanity on Bunnings

Hi @jasejw,

You could use small angle brackets on the inside of the top mitre joints to strengthen them. These will be hidden by the drawers. The same approach couldn't be used on the bottom as they'd be exposed. In the guide, they set the nail gun to drive the pin nail a millimetre below the surface and then use a timber putty over the nail holes. Since the brad nail heads are so small, the putty will be just about unnoticeable. Puttying over brad nails is a fairly standard approach in cabinetry construction.

With the wall mounting, they have eight fixing points into the stud work and are using bugle head timber screws. These are long, coarse threaded screws that are capable of holding a large amount of weight. Even a single screw would hold over 100 kilos if fixed into a stud. You could certainly make your own modifications to the design to improve the mounting of it. However, even if you were to use brackets, they'd still need to be screwed into studs. Commonly the hole sizes provided on brackets are for standard smaller screws. You'll get brackets with multiple holes, so having two fine-threaded smaller screws on a bracket could be more effective than one larger coarse-thread screw. 

Please let me know fi you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jasejw
Growing in Experience

Re: bathroom vanity on Bunnings

Thanks Mitchell. Makes sense. I guess you could use angle brackets inside bottom as well as drawers would hide - even rebated. So in the video the holes in the tiles are lined up to studs and 100mm bugles would hold. Thanks 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects