Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover hair line cracks on shower tray?

Catherine11
Just Starting Out

How to cover hair line cracks on shower tray?

Hi Everyone,

Could someone please help me with hair line cracks on my shower tray?

It is a fiberglass base.

Is there a fiberglass paint that I could use to cover the cracks?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hair line cracks on shower tray

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Catherine11. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing cracks in a shower tray.

A few images of these cracks would help our members understand their extent, and they'd be better placed to offer helpful suggestions. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

I'm unaware of any paints that are designed to coat over fibreglass, especially in a wet area. Typically aged fibreglass trays experience fine spiderweb-like cracks in the topcoat that aren't large enough to leak water through. This is more of an aesthetical issue requiring the surface to be prepped and overcoated with products that are specifically designed for that purpose. One of the issues with painting fibreglass is that it is flexible, and two-part epoxy coatings will often crack if applied over it.

If this is just an aesthetical issue, have you considered adding a bath mat to the shower to hide the cracks?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects